KW variant II's Opinions...

Im looking to make an upgrade from my current GPmoto Coilover Setup to the KW variant II line of coilovers.

Does anybody have an opinion of these coils?

I’ve only heard things like “KWs are the best, period” about them. Not having ever used them, I can’t offer my full oppinion, except that I will be getting a set of the V3s come spring.

They rocked so much ass in my audi, that I slid it into a tree.

But for the couple weeks I drove it, they were great.

A bitch to adjust. BTW, i had v2s also

I have them on my Audi, and they are nice. The only thing I hate about them is that you have to completely remove the coilovers from the car in order to change the dampening. Not sure how the dampener operates on your application though.

Speak of the devil, and by devil I mean guy who got redonkulus good deal because I sold them to him :slight_smile:

Love you Howie!

I had a set on my old Civic. Car cornered like a Porsche!!! Downside is they were kinda too stiff for my liking on everyday driving with shitty Buffalo streets. Adjustment on them was easy on the Civic. (Dial turning)

My 1 major gripe bout them, the one perch lock friggin froze on me.

We distribute KW BTW. LOL

I have the variant 1’s on my car and I love them. I had the variant 1’s on my old car too, and when I bought my srt-4 I didn’t think twice or even look at other options. You won’t regret buying them, even though they are kinda pricey.

I have kw v2’s. The overall ride quality is nice. Only thing that bothers me is removing the rear shocks to adjust dampening. Be sure to use antiseize on the threading for adjustment. Stainless or not, any coilovers can seize if you leave them set for so long, especially with varying environments.

unlubricated stainless bolts will seize WAYYYY faster than mild steel hardware. You always need to use antiseize of grease on stailess hardware.

Good tips on the anti-seize, I’m gonna have to do that on my new (to me) Teins I stole off my clip.

I have used them, Honestly I think there are better bang for the buck choices out there. The audi setup was rediculous for adjustment and I would never recommend that to anyone ever. It it is your only choice then I would say I guess go with it but otherwise I don’t like them nor do I recommend them to customers.

Out of curiosity, what do you recommend to your customers? Please don’t say Tein.

Just utterly curious at your response based upon that statement.

I had KW’s in my 7th gen Celica, and I loved them.

Based on my experience with them in my Celica, even considering the over $3,000 for the EVO, I am going to get them for the EVO.

Maybe that will help. I liked them so much that I am going with them for my EVO…

Tein, Progress, JIC. In no particular order. I have had 0 problems with Tein products, they have always performed flawlessly for us. Have you had issues? Have you installed coilovers before?

i installed KWs on a subaru that cost over 2 grand and used the factory strut bearings/hat

JIC are the equivalent of riding on pogo sticks IMO. The 2-3 cars I have rode in, not worth the $$.

Tein…vastly over rated for performance unless you spend $$ on the higher models like the CS or Flex, and even still mediocre at best.

Progress…I will give you that. Good build quality, and not bad priced either. I have had some customer issues here and there with a couple of apps, but nothing major.

Having installed and performed all of the adjustments to Tein Coilovers (Flex, super street with and without pillow ball mounts), KW coilovers, GP moto, D2 coilovers, JIC coilovers, Progress Coilovers, Tanabe Coilovers, and some off brand chinese crap for a hyundai. The Tein products have so far the best build quality and are the most user friendly setup. Ride has been superior using these coilovers over any other brand I have installed.

Cars that feel like a pogo stick are obviously not adjusted properly in spring preload and dampening.

Tein also has the best customer and product support I have seen in a long time. They deal with shops that will install their products for that reason. They supply just about everything a shop will need including a complete service manual for installation with break down of the products and individual replacement part numbers. Very handy.

It is rare to come upon a company in the Sport Compact Industry that offers this level of technical and customer support. This industry lacks that alot.

+2 on that. I hear ya loud and clear. Don’t even get me started on some of the other companies.

The placing of adjustment screws and dials is totally different depending on the application and that goes for all brands of coilovers. On some cars it’s just hard to make all of the adjustments accessible. For instance, KW’s are very easily adjusted on a Subaru but it’s a pain on VW/Audi as was mentioned. I’ve been in a VW with them and I was extremely impressed with the ride and handling. KW is also known as the king of anti-rust. I sell a good number of these and I haven’t had a complaint yet.

A few locals have used D2 Racing coilovers and love them. Perhaps Rick will chime in if he notices this thread.

I’ve been in a few cars with Teins and for the money I’d go with a good set of springs and Koni Yellows instead. I still sell Teins and some people are happy with them, but none of those people had experience with any other coilover or a proper upgraded spring and strut package.

If you really want more than that save up for something higher end like DMS, Ohlins, Proflex, etc. However, do NOT get coilovers unless you really know what you’re getting into and you’re prepared to put all the time and money into getting them dialed in, and adjusting them for different conditions. If you think you’re going to bolt coilovers up and you’ll have a race car on your hands you’re sorely mistaken.

Currently I have DMS 50’s on one of my cars and they’re great for the money. They’re sold in a few variations. Mine are set up for rally so they can take massive hits, but even my wife doesn’t mind the ride. Of course if I had the money I’d get Ohlins or Penskes etc., but doesn’t it always come down to money? :slight_smile:

-Mike