Laying pavers.....what base to use?

So I am installing a man door in the side of my garage this weekend and I need to eventually lay pavers down in front of the door and wrap it around the driveway. What can I use for the base once I dig up the grass/dirt. Some places say you need a 4-6" base for drainage. Can I use crusher and compact it or do I buy the bags from Lowes? I plan to use the base, put 2-3" of sand, then lay my pavers and sweep sand into the crevices. Am I missing anything here?

use 6" base of crusher, then get a fine grade stone instead of sand for the rest. I used to work for my uncle’s landscaping company back in the day and I was always impressed by this fine grade stone he used to use instead of sand…I’ll try to find out exactly what it’s called.

Edit: he said it was fine grade slate chippings…some greys and dark greens in color, says not everywhere has it but it’s way better than sand.

I wouldn’t even know where to find that…and do you use it in place of sand when you brush it in between too?

yup. It held up way better as far as settling goes, and it really didn’t allow anything to take root (weeds) between the paver stones. I can’t say where to get it, because his business was in North Carolina and I used to go down and work for him for the summers.

6" crush stone, 2-3" of sand, use the polymeric sand in the joints…just pray that you never have to tear up and clean off the pavers. the polymeric stuff works great but is a pain in the ass to get off the pavers once it sets up.

^^^polymeric sand in joints

Seal the pavers as well if you want a deep, rich wet look.