Learn me about video editing software.

Lets say I wanted to pick out parts of video clips, merge in some still pics, maybe add a transition effect or two, captions, and set it to music.

What will do this and be easy enough to use that I don’t have to spend more than an hour or two learning before I’m becoming a youtube superstar?

Not sure if there’s better stuff out there but Adobe Premiere was easy enough for me to pick up in about 2 35-min classes when we did a unit on it in HS…

Adode premier seems pretty complicated these days. I’ll have to revisit it and find some tutorials. I’m sure once you figure out the basics it becomes fairly easy, but right now it’s just scary.

I’d like to know if there’s slightly more basic software out there besides Windows Movie Maker that’s more intuitive.

Where’s Josh? He should have some input here.

I’m going to have some stuff I’d like to work with shortly and I’d be interested in suggestions as well.

Windows Movie Maker = Beginner, but still has the capability of making some decent videos. Good for dicking around making youtube videos.
Adobe Premier Pro = “I’ve used this before and know my way around” Advanced Video Editing
Final Cut Pro = Mac’s more advanced video editing software, usually used in low to midrange video productions. Probably the industry choice for video editing period.
iMovie = Mac’s “Windows Movie Maker”, pretty simple to use, nice interface, good quality output.

If you’re looking for tutorials try lynda.com. If you are into Torrents/Newsgroups you can pickup the tutorials from there. They do a VERY good job doing the Adobe suite, and mostly web/graphic design.

I’m thinking of taking my Macbook Pro home just to do a couple youtube videos. I haven’t really gotten to in depth with the Mac programs, so I’m going to try them out.

<EDIT>
Oh, it also appears that Windows Movie Maker (which is now part of the Windows Live Essentials) has a YouTube option…not sure what it does yet.

Wow, looks like Premier has gotten a lot more complicated since 2003

I deal with computers for a living, and I learn programs pretty well by myself. I taught myself Photoshop and Dreamweaver, but Premier was one that takes a bit more time to understand. I’ve only used it a couple times with version CS3, so the simplicity may have changed in CS4 and even CS5.

I use Adobe Premier, but you probably don’t need that. iMovie for a Mac or Windows Movie Maker for PC should be good enough for now, and at least help you learn some basics in case you want to step up to a more advanced program later :tup:

I’ve been meaning to checkout the latest from Roxio ever since my father in law dropped off a CD with the video he shot at the last family picnic we had at the house. He said he just threw the raw video at the software, picked an MP3, told it the general category of “people” and it did all this mixing and matching for him. The end result was a pretty impressive compilation of the day and he said it was his first attempt using the software.