Lemon Law help.

So I bought a used 2002 volvo xc70 3 weeks ago. The day we picked it up from the used dealership it had a bad alternator and the guy said the driver’s side sway bar link was bad. He stated he would replace these parts and get it aligned, he did replace the alternator but he did not replace the sway bar link nor did it get aligned.

Now I am getting a sever clank from the driver’s side and it seems to be a mixture of the sway bar link and the cv shaft. The tranny also clunks when shifting from park to reverse to drive etc and rattles when shifting from reverse to drive (tranny issues on these are common).

At this point I don’t even want to bother with him fixing these issues. I have a week left on the 30 day lemon law deal and I have a 6 month drive-train warranty. When I told him about these problems he said he would contact the warranty company to see what was covered. The car has 1468xx miles on it and I payed $7400 I think I can find a better car but I’m not sure how to go about this.

Thanks for any advice.

so you bought a used car and failed to look and it or have it looked at by a professional. You find out the car needs work and now you want your money back?

Sorry I’m young and naive. Don’t rub it in.

the lemon law is not what u think it is…the lemon law is when u have to bring a car in for the same problem over and over again within such a time period

I would just keep going back over and over and over and over and over again. Annoy the shit out of him.

If that doesn’t work, just deal with the fact that you shouldn’t have bought a piece of shit for 7 grand.

You payed $7400 for an 8 year old car with ~147k miles on it with issues clearly stated and red flags didn’t go off?

Lemon law isn’t a return if you don’t like it kind of thing.

oops :slight_smile:

^^^^

Should have taken more than 2 seconds because you posted the wrong stuff broski.

http://autopedia.com/html/LemonLaw/NewYork_NY_lemonlaw3.html

For the amount of time/miles you have:
© If your used car has 80,000 miles or more but no more than 100,000 miles, a warranty must be provided for at least 30 days or 1,000 miles, whichever comes first. Cars with over 100,000 miles are not covered.

The parts that are covered:
2. The written warranty shall require the dealer or his agent to repair or, at the election of the dealer, reimburse the consumer for the reasonable cost of repairing the failure of a covered part. Covered parts shall at least include the following items:
(a) Engine. All lubricated parts, water pump, fuel pump, manifolds, engine block, cylinder head, rotary engine housings and flywheel.
(b) Transmission. The transmission case, internal parts, and the torque converter.
© Drive axle. Front and rear drive axle housings and internal parts, axle shafts, propeller shafts and universal joints.
(d) Brakes. Master cylinder, vacuum assist booster, wheel cylinders, hydraulic lines and fittings and disc brake calipers.
(e) Radiator.
(f) Steering. The steering gear housing and all internal parts, power steering pump, valve body, piston and rack.
(g) Alternator, generator, starter, ignition system excluding the battery.

Used Car lemon Law

Your protection under the law when you buy from a New York dealer extends to used cars as well. The dealer must provide a warranty on the vehicle that covers at least the engine, transmission, drive axle, brakes, radiator, steering, alternator, generator, starter, and ignition system (not including the battery).

Under the warranty, the dealer must either repair the defect or reimburse you for the repair costs. The length of the warranty depends on how many miles are on the vehicle when you buy it:

* 36,000 miles or less: 90-day or 4,000-mile warranty
* 36,001 miles to 79,999 miles: 60-day or 3,000-mile warranty
* 80,000 miles to 100,000 miles: 30-day or 1,000-mile warranty

A dealer does not have to warrant a vehicle that sells for less than $1,500 or whose odometer reading is more than 100,000 miles.

The Used Car Lemon Law entitles you to a replacement vehicle or refund if the dealer is unable to correct the problem after three repair attempts or the car has been out of service for 15 days.

Oof, sounds like you’re up shits creek.

Here is just about your only leverage if he says he won’t fix it: It sounds like you have a problem that will prevent the car from passing inspection. As a registered car dealer, he is obligated to have the car inspected before selling it to you and obviously the car must be in condition to pass inspection or he can’t sell it. If he inspected it himself and passed it in obviously un-passable condition just to move the car then you can get him in some pretty serious trouble with the DMV.

It amazes me how misinformed people are about NYS lemon law.

Are the items listed above inspection items? The transmission won’t be. Bad alignment won’t be. Sway bar endlink MIGHT be, but probably not.

^This. I had to go after Transit Auto Sales Center (I think that was the name) when I bought my Prizm because he passed it illegally as a Chevy Corvette lol. I reported him to BBB and had him fined by NYS DMV.

Looks like a bad endlink should cause it to fail inspection

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c-50.htm

Springs and torsion bars - check for sagging or broken springs, or a broken, disconnected, missing or bent torsion or stabilizer bar

Since the endlink is a part of the ‘stabilizer bar’, I would think that should be fixed before passing.

Hey, since you’re in middleport my girlfriend lives up there and bought a car from a shit dealer, then kept trying to get it fixed at another place and they’d just take her money and not do anything (her parents made her take it in, this was a long while back… didn’t trust me to fix anything i assume).
mind saying what place it was?
or pm’ing it to me?

if it’s not in the middleport area, nevermind ;p

P.S.
see if any bulbs are burned out, lol.
I had a burned out brake light and fog light when i bought my car, that Jim Culligan never fixed (was my first car) and they said they were going to… but it passed inspection still. :stuck_out_tongue:
pretty sure that shits gotta work.