Considering busting out the lemon law

So over the summer i purchased a 2007 Mazdaspeed3 with 27k on it.

Ran great until it got cold and I got a CEL
Before i even could take it to the dealer one morning it wouldn’t even start, just ran for 3 sec then died
Mazda road side couldn’t be bothered to find a dealership who is authorized for Speed vehicals so they took it to the dealer i bought it from (not a speed dealer but they were close)

They said it was because the hose for the valve cover breather was cracked and was letting unmetered air past the MAF but they couldn’t order the part because they aren’t a speed auth dealer. They plugged the hole and sent me on my way to get it fixed elsewhere.

Dealer number 2, i explained the issue when i brought it in and they said thy would look at it. When i got back they said i needed a new fuel pump and didn’t even fix the plugged up breather hold in the intake. They said it wasn’t under warrenty but wouldn’t effect the way it runs or the CEL.

Take it in for fuel pump (under warrenty) they replace it and as i’m leaving the car is a bit jerky and missing. I get a CEL again and take it back. They said with the higher fuel pressure the breather hose IS needed now. (Cost 140 dollars not under warrenty so initially i skipped it because i was going to get an intake that took care of this later on) they throw one on from another car and just give it to me for free.

On my way back to work (5mi) CEL comes back on, take it back in and they tell me the O2 sensor is bad and they order the part. over a week later part comes in and I bring it back.

While it’s in they take an extra hour to bust the O2 loose which i have to pay for because the warrenty only covers a certain amount of time. 75 dollars. But they re-ran the codes and determined i have a misfire on cyl 3 and according to Mazda I need a new fuel injector.

That part is order and we are finally at TODAY. I’m at 11k since i bought the car or roughly that.
I wonder how a case for lemon law would go, thoughts?

Too old for lemon.

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/consumers.aspx?id=625

In what way? I didn’t see a requirement for age of car besides less than 1 year after delivery, i’ve had it 6 months
and under 12000 miles of use (i’m assuming that means MY use after purchase and not 12000 miles total on the car) I"m at 11k roughly now and i was at less when the issues started.

I thought the Lemon Law only covered cars that were purchased new.

That was my impression as well, and the only cars I’ve known to be bought back under Lemon Law have been new cars

That’s what i was wondering too, i was just curious if anyone on here knew for sure.

It appears that it varies from state to state, i googled lemon laws and used cars and it appears as if there is a chance it could apply

Yes - if you receive an express written warranty with the vehicle. An express written warranty can be either a) the balance of a manufacturer’s warranty, b) a separate limited warranty given by the dealer, or c) an extended warranty or service contract you purchase from the dealer at the time you purchase the vehicle. If you have such a warranty, the substance of the new car lemon laws apply.

Pennsylvania does not currently have a specific “used car” lemon law at this time. Fortunately, however, you may be able to bring a lemon law -type claim if you have purchased a “used” vehicle that still had some of the original manufacturer’s warranty on it at the time of it’s purchase. If your used vehicle suffered a defect while under the original manufacturer’s warranty, there is a federal law called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that covers used cars that have a written warranty on them. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act protects consumers who purchase any product that costs over $25 and comes with a written warranty, so a used car would be covered by this law.

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is similar to the Pennsylvania Lemon Law in many regards, and in some aspects, its better. Like the Pennsylvania Lemon Law, the Act provides for a refund or free replacement of the defective product, and further provides for recovery of all associated costs including Attorney fees for bringing such a claim. If the purchaser can show that the used vehicle suffered a substantial defect or non-conformity during the warranty period, and the manufacturer was unable to remedy that defect, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act will provide relief to the purchaser. The Magnuson-Moss Act is an act that was designed to ensure that manufacturers (of any product) who offer a written warranty on that product abide by and honor the terms of any warranty that they give. A purchaser of a used motor vehicle is a prime candidate to use this law in the event that he purchases a used “lemon”, because the original manufacturer’s warranty transfers to all subsequent owners of the vehicle until it expires based upon mileage or a given length of time.

In practice, Lemon Law Attorneys have used this Act very successfully in Pennsylvania to protect purchasers of defective “used” motor vehicles. If your used vehicle has suffered a defect while still under the original manufacturer’s warranty, you may be entitled to a full refund or free replacement.

original owner only…

So what if there is a 2005 subaru baja turbo that has had 2 blown turbos since it was bought new and may need a 3rd new turbo? Will it qualify under the lemon law?

no, too old.

what dealership are you going to?

The first one which was not a SPEED authorized dealer was Rorich Mazda on West Liberty
The current one is Kia Mazda in Monroevile.
I don’t think the dealership is all that competent at this point but I don’t care because its all under warranty and I’m getting a ton of free new parts that may or may not be fixing some problem.

If the first blown turbo was before you had the car for 12 months or 12k miles! If you have documentation that the first issue was within that window I think your covered, at least that’s the way i read it.

those guys suck,I would take it to billco from now on

lemon law is the same problem 3 times. i looked into this when i had my S10 since i had several issues with the rearend. each time it was serviced it was for a different part of the rear. What it sounds like is, the places you took your vehicle to had no idea what they were doing so they just installed parts at your cost. Most dealer techs are nothing more then parts changers, means they cant troubleshoot a problem without a computer telling them what to change. There are also local shops in the region that are nothing more then parts changers as well. So becareful who you take your car to cause it might end up costing you more then you intended.

It’s not costing me a dime, its all under warranty. Otherwise i would have changed dealerships by now. I just work in Monroevile so it’s easy to drop my car off and get them to cart me over to my job. If this last thing doesn’t fix it then I will try to work out a way to drop my car off at Billco for sure.

Also I understand the lemon law applies when the 3 issues are the same but at the same time obviously none of the things they fixed are the real problem, how many times do i have to take it in and still have a CEL before its obvious the dealership tried to fix an issue that still exist 3 times? As far as I know (playing dumb) I have a CEL and i have taken it in 3 times and i still have a CEL.

What are the odds that at the very same moment, my O2 sensor, Fuel Pump, and injector failed at the same time a plastic elbow broke off my breather?

What are the odds the dealership has no idea what the single problem is that I took it in 3 times for?

UPDATE:

After the dealer has replaced my Fuel Pump, o2 Sensor, and #3 injector all under warranty and the CEL is STILL on. They tested the compression for cyl #3 and they want to pull the head off and possibly give me a new engine.

if i were them id try changing the maf just for the hell of it. the bank 1 sensor 1 02 sensor works hand in hand w/ the maf. i had a car once that was showing weird o2 readings, along w/ misfires etc. the maf itself was checking out good–correct grams/sec, voltage everything. the o2 itself was looking good voltage wise–so couldn’t condem it in good faith. car was so bad i couldnt keep it running long enough to get any sort of long or short term fuel trim info to help me out. but by playing w/ feed an return fuel line by pinching them off to restrict fuel or raise pressure-- i could make the car run better. when it was misfiring liek crazy–it was too rich and flooding the car out-- but maf was showing to be 100% perfect.

i tossed a maf on the car just to see because fuel pressure, injectors, everythign else looked good.-- been golden ever since. that car was at 3 indy and 2 dealerships and they tossed a lot of parts on the car short of an engine itself.

I should have been clearer, they tested compression on the cyl with the misfire and it showed to be low. The dealer tech guy is ready to give me a new engine but i guess since they involved Mazda in the process already Mazda wants them to pull the head off and see if they can’t easily spot why compression is low. This is a fairly common way for these engines to go, no one knows why cyl #3 is the culprit. Either way, the dealer actually told me that he hopes it blows up before i come back in so he doesn’t have to nickle and dime the head and block until it’s fixed. They are apparently short on rental cars or something so once one is avail I’m bringing it back in to have the head removed and checked out. The most likely outcomes are: they see a big problem and give me a new engine or, they can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t hold compression and they give me a new engine. I suppose it is possible also that they see some issue they can fix without replacing everything too.

sounds like mazda’s are garbage? Lemon laws lol… yeah, only applies to new vehicles and original purchaser… haha @ thinking it’s based on when “YOU” bought the car. wishful thinking maybe? if my nine year old audi had issues i’d be first to call foul to audi, i mean i only put 6k miles on it! haha the other 70k weren’t me :slight_smile:

and the dude with the Baja, sounds like you bought an ill-maintained car or don’t maintain it yourself… it’s not subaru’s fault. sorry bro. unless they have hundreds of thousands go and issue a ‘RECALL’ you aren’t getting shit from them for your car… change the oil regularly and let it warm up / cool down.

haha @ thinking it’s based on when “YOU” bought the car.

It is in some states smart ass

Is a Used or Leased Car protected?
It depends upon which State the car was purchased or leased in. Some states include used and leased cars in their Lemon Law statutes. Some states have separate laws for used vehicles. Some states provide protection only for new cars. In some states, even the Attorney General is unable to tell you if a Leased vehicle is covered due to the way the law is phrased and you will be referred to an Attorney for clarification of the law. See the Lemon Law Summary and the State Statutes for your particular State to determine what is covered.