Lemon?!?

I just bought a 2001 Chevy Prizm not because I particularly like the car, but because of its reputation to be reliable and have good gas mileage. I’ve only had it about 1 month and since then it’s been alright but has terrible handling and terrible gas mileage. I took a trip to Erie PA (100miles) and made it in about 2.8 gallons, but other than that, I’ve been tracking my odometer to get about 275 at most for the full 12g tank. Any one have any input to a car that supposedly just got inspected and is supposed to range 35-40mpg (this would put it just shy of 25mpg)?

What do you mean by terrible handling? An alignment problem could scrub off some MPG’s…

so because it doesn’t pull mad g’s in the corners, and you’re not satisfied with the MPG…it’s a lemon?

:picard:

I did not think used cars fell under the lemon law

So you got a little bit better than EPA rating mileage for a highway trip, and a little bit worse than EPA rating for a city commute?

[quote=“66impalass,post:4,topic:40165"”]

[/quote]

wrong

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showpost.php?p=514638&postcount=6

[quote=“66impalass,post:4,topic:40165"”]

[/quote]

i dont think lemon laws are violated if you aren’t happy with the car’s performance :lol:

silly n00b, trix are for kids…

[quote=“fairgentleman Z,post:5,topic:40165"”]

So you got a little bit better than EPA rating mileage for a highway trip, and a little bit worse than EPA rating for a city commute?

wrong

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showpost.php?p=514638&postcount=6

[/quote]

its required to get a warranty from a dealer for a specific length of time based on the miles. That car is too old to be a"lemon" not to mention it wouldn’t qualify for lemon law anyway. I would take it back to the dealer you purchased it from because it should have 60 days or 3,000 miles. that is required in NYS. The only problem you will come across is that the warranty is a powertrain warranty only and it does not sound like anything is wrong, you just don’t like the way it handles or the gas mileage. does that help? if not let me know and I can get the exact rules up for you.

Mileage on car?

Air filter?

25 isnt horrible. Its less than what it should be, but if you think it handles terrible, (wich im sure it does) then you might be driving it a bit harder than you need to be if you want 30+mpg.

What does this have to do with the lemon law?

You can file lemon law on a used car, but its tough. the problem has to fall within very strict guidelines and be out of service for so many days and repair attempts etc…Either way its handled through the Attorney Generals office. they normally send stuff like this over to us at vehicle safety. But its a used car and it doesnt sound like a drastic problem being it is a USED car. You can call Albany and file a complaint if its within 90 days and 3,000 miles since purchase 1-800-call-dmv ask to file a complaint against a car dealer

why is everybody turning this thread into a discussion on lemon laws and if they can be applied to used cars purchased from private parties? did you read the first post at all?

this dude is upset that he bought a car hoping to win autocross and get 95MPG running on water and piss…only to wake up and realize it’s a geo descendant…why is there any discussion at all? start a thread discussing lemon laws on your own, and in the mean time please help me tell this noob that he’s an idiot for thinking he had a claim here…

yeah i only deal with private sellers, used cars from dealerships are normally terrible, atleast buying from a rpivate seller, they will give you a backround, and if its As is.

its As Is

plugs, wires, air filter, fuel filter, maybe injector cleaner, see what happens from there.

some of these cars came with a 3 speed auto or a 4 speed non-over drive if I remember correctly. That could be a little of your problem.