Let the Bears pay the Bear Tax....I pay the Homer Tax.

Really getting sick of hearing this statement repeated, considering how patently false it is.

Half of the people who owe no federal income tax (right now the number is around 46%) are those who make so little (usually less than $27,000 a year) that when standard deductions are taken out (i.e. personal exemptions for taxpayers and dependants) they simply don’t have any income left to be taxed. HOWEVER they still pay payroll taxes that fund social security and medicare, and they pay federal excise taxes as well as state and local taxes. Right there half of that number is out the window.

Moving on, 22% receive senior tax benefits, the extra standard deduction for seniors, the exclusion of a portion of Social Security benefits, and the credit for seniors. Most of them are older people on Social Security whose adjusted gross income is less than $25,000.

15.2% receive tax credits for children and the working poor. That includes the child tax credit and the earned income tax credit.

The rest ended up owing no federal income tax due to various tax expenditures such as education credits, itemized deductions or reduced rates on capital gains and dividends.

But here’s my favorite part, showing what theblue is saying about how the wealthy can game the system:

TPC estimates there are about 7,000 families and individuals who earn $1 million a year or more and still pay no federal income tax.

Or in laymens terms, 1.3% of people who make $1mil or more a year pay no federal income tax whatsoever. Which begs the question: Why the fuck is that allowed to happen?

Things are looking up

The Americans With No Abilities Act

President Barack Obama and the Senate are considering sweeping legislation that will provide new benefits for many Americans. The Americans With No Abilities Act is being hailed as a major legislative goal by advocates of the millions of Americans who lack any real skills or ambition.

“Roughly 50 percent of Americans do not possess the competence and drive necessary to carve out a meaningful role for themselves in society,” said California Sen. Barbara Boxer. “We can no longer stand by and allow People of Inability (POI) to be ridiculed and passed over. With this legislation, employers will no longer be able to grant special favors to a small group of workers, simply because they have some idea of what they are doing.”

In a Capitol Hill press conference, former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid pointed to the success of the U.S. Postal Service, which has a long-standing policy of providing opportunity without regard to performance. Approximately 74 percent of postal employees lack any job skills, making this agency the single largest U.S. employer of Persons With No Ability. The Transportation Security Agency was a close runner up. Under the act, it will be perfectly acceptable to be in second place.

Private-sector industries with good records of non-discrimination against the inept include retail sales (72 percent), the airline industry (68 percent), and home-improvement warehouse stores (65 percent). At the state government level, the Department of Motor Vehicles also has an excellent record of hiring Persons with No Ability (63 percent).

Under the Americans With No Abilities Act, more than 25 million mid-level positions will be created, with important-sounding titles but little real responsibility, thus providing an illusory sense of purpose and performance.

Mandatory non-performance-based raises and promotions will be given to guarantee upward mobility for even the most unremarkable employees. The legislation provides substantial tax breaks to corporations that promote a significant number of Persons of Inability (POI) into middle-management positions, and give a tax credit to small and medium-sized businesses that agree to hire one clueless worker for every two talented hires.

Finally, the Americans With No Abilities Act contains tough new measures to make it more difficult to discriminate against the non-abled, banning, for example, discriminatory interview questions such as, “Do you have any skills or experience that relate to this job?”

“As a non-abled person, I can’t be expected to keep up with people who have something going for them,” said Mary Lou Gertz, who lost her position as a lug-nut twister at the GM plant in Flint, Mich., due to her inability to remember righty tighty, lefty loosey. “This new law should be real good for people like me. Ill finally have job security.” With the passage of this bill, Gertz and millions of other untalented citizens will finally see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Said Vice President Joe Biden: “As an ex-senator with no abilities, I believe the same privileges that elected officials enjoy ought to be extended to every American with no abilities. It is our duty as lawmakers to provide each and every American citizen, regardless of his or her inadequacy, with some sort of space to take up in this great nation and a good salary for doing so.”

:lol: :clap: The Onion?

i dont care if you make $1000/year , 26K/year, or 26,000,000/year, everyone should pay taxes

Fuckin’ gold right there.

what’s your point in saying that?

I got paid today, cost me $40 and my wife $50, no big deal thats only a tank of gas a piece

Self employed and maxed out to the SS tax limit so it will be a cool 24k in SS taxes this year for my wife and i

I give up, I liked it better when politics threads on nyspeed just got dumped in politisuck where no one bothered reading or responding to them. Between this and Cuomo’s address I’m ready to put the house up for sale and move to a dark red state.

I posted this there first but with all the Gun Talk I moved it here…

If you want to have a discussion with all the active users on politisuck go lock yourself in a closet and start talking.

Mingling with the intellectually unwashed masses can be fun.

my yearly step increase at work was negated by this tax increase. I actually make a dollar less take home now then I did at a lower pay rate.
I am throwing the towel in on NY and all the liberal idiots running it.
If I wanted someone to tell me how to live and to spend my money I would have married an overbearing woman.

and before people jump in and say “step increase? I haven’t had a raise in years” a step increase isn’t a raise , NY state devised a system where it takes you 7 years of employment to reach the “prevailing wage” of your job, so it’s basically a way to withhold money from you for the first 7 years of your career

Let’s see. As you mentioned earlier, your paycheck got hit to the tune of $40. Since there could only be one pay period applicable to the removal of the 2% Payroll Tax Holiday so far this year, that calculates out to $104,000 per year {(($40/ 2%) x 52 weeks)= $104,000}. Then you say that you are “throwing the towel in on NY”. You are earning 6-figures at a NYS job, and you are mad at NYS because of the non-renewal of a FEDERAL Tax Holiday?

What you’re saying and complaining about makes no sense.

^ His math checks out…at least for my gross it did.

Nevermind, I fail at maths.

ha! I wish, more like $37k a year , I also get paid bi-weekly , after taxes and bullshit deductions I take home a whopping $500 a week
I am throwing the towel in on the state because I do not wish to live in a politically correct police state any longer.
I am not a fan of paying premiums on car insurance, gas, utilities ect ect
I do not enjoy the winter and being buried under snow for 6 months of the year.
I could go on and on…

and as far as your math I don’t know how well it does or doesn’t work out but comparing my paystubs works pretty well for me

you’re assuming 1 pay period per week; bi-weekly would cut this in least half. $40/2% = 2000 * 26 = 52,000.

So then something is still off if you’re making $37k year.

I’ll be happy to provide a before and after pay stub to anyone

Man, it’s gotta be nice to bitch about paying taxes on salaries you guys make.

I work hard for the money I make. I do not like giving it to people that do not work as hard as I do.