LINUX: You're holding our kids back!

haha

:picard: @ BillysRevenge

i believe and correct me if im wrong computer guys but isnt mac osx and linux both unix based? I know if you wan to you can make your linux gnome look EXACTLY like a mac

I loved that movie when I was younger :-p must have watched it like 50 times.

Opps, edit to actually contribute a little. I have some experience with Linux in the form of Ubuntu, I know kinda the kids version in some respects. But its a good version to show that Linux really isn’t hard at all to learn and use if set up in such a way. First install of ti went as smooth if not smoother then most Windows install I have done.

OK?

Yea if you plan on installing Gentoo… Ubuntu has made it 8923740962340 easier to install than windows.

What he meant to say was you suck.

Did that clear it up for you or are you still trying to figure it out?

gotcha

<—teabags self

Mac OS X uses a BSD Kernel, Linux uses the linux kernel. They are both derivatives of the original unix kernel.

In A LOT of ways they are very similar, but in a lot of ways very different as well.

you really have… no idea what you’re talking about do you?

lol… lets see, on my laptop when i install win xp i have to go through all of the normal hoops, fdisk, install base system, time zone/networking etc. Oh then hope on another computer to download and install all of my drivers (since of course, windows come with zero drivers for my machine) and install them, buy and install applications, run 9 days worth of windows updates.

same laptop i install ubuntu, i pick my language, keyboard layout, partition, and wait about 20 minutes and my computer is fully functioning with all of the applications any basic computer user needs (graphic editing, office suite, audio/video players etc. etc.) oh yea, and it is FREE.

you can get away with saying that it takes a bit more knowledge to operate the computer after installation maybe, but the same can be said going from any platform to another if you’re not used to it.

:tup:

actually I do…look at the layout of Fedora Core…it’s almost identical to windows.

what is the purpose of what you just posted!? are you saying it is identical because it has a grey “taskbar”? or because it has an icon on the desktop that looks like a computer monitor that says “computer”? Or is it because it has a clock??

edit: you really don’t seem to have any idea what you are talking about, i am very surprised you even know what linux is, let alone the difference between any of the builds… so you might as well say that they are all “rip-off’s” of windows

edit2: by your logic… isn’t OS X MORE similar to windows though? it only has one “task bar”, where as fedora core clearly has one at the top and one at the bottom.

you stated I had no idea what I’m talking about…when clearly evidence backs my previous statements…Just wanted you to see it. Understand what I mean now?

at what point in this thread did you clearly show evidence that you know what you are talking about?? i can assure you i CERTAINLY do not understand what you mean now.

edit: :picard:

the picture…do you see the picture and how it has similarities to a windows GUI?

haha this has to be a joke, if so :clap:

if not: no, no i do not.

I ran fedora for a while, but had driver issues running dual monitors

The GUI, is almost identical…are you serious?

yum=windows update

ext3, similar to the windows file system NTFS

Aside from the fact that they are both journaled, do explain this please, maybe you can teach us all something.

not really going to bother commenting on the other two comments because they are… really ridiculous.

I don’t understand what is going on here…

Computers all comprise of the same few pieces… of course there is going to be similarities…

I don’t understand why you are saying that Linux (dear god there are so many distrobutions) are a direct rip off of windows.

Yum != windows update. Yum retrieves packages and installs them…

Windows update retrieves patches and applies them. it doesnt allow you to install other programs.

This is the main reason why I don’t post in huge nerd corner, because half of you are insanely retarded and feel you have a clue what you are talking about.

For myself this debate is far below something I actually would care to discuss.

NTFS and EXT3 are different… Look at how permissions are applied. BTW windows makes an attempt to emulate unix permissions but over complicates them.

I’m not even going to begin with this thread