LINUX: You're holding our kids back!

Agreed. What a waste of 3 school credits.

yum is not like windows update you fucking idiot…

yum lets you install/remove/update tons of software packages.

ext3 and NTFS are similar because they are both file system formats outside of that they are very different…

Basiclly everything ILC has said…

x2

Not worth the stress to verbally abuse the few people who seem to know nothing.

ahahahahahaha

NTFS = ext3

hahahahahahahaha

god, this thread really went to shit

Can we actually get back to discussing the article?

Someone must have taken an intro to linux class at ITT and is now and expert…

I used to use Linux in college. The closes I get these days is knoppix.

OT: did you know VHS copies of RAD sell for ~$40 on ebay?

Ever notice how a Casio calculator can do things that a TI-85 can do? They clearly ripped off Texas Instruments!

:picard:

Back on topic, I can’t believe someone would write an email like that and mean it. People are clearly delusional in the whole “My operating system can beat up your operating system” debate.

Yeah, well, they all stole the graphical interface from Xerox! :jawdrop:

hyahaha back to the topic…

This is a world where Windows runs on virtually every computer and putting on a carnival show for an operating system is not helping these children at all. I am sure if you contacted Microsoft, they would be more than happy to supply you with copies of an older verison of Windows and that way, your computers would actually be of service to those receiving them…"

THAT IS GOLD!

Wow…that’s kinda scary, don’t they like test these teachers before they just hand the kids off to them?

I have a iMac that is dual booting leopard and XP, I also have an old laptop with ubuntu installed on it. The only os I’ve had issues with is XP, the extent to which ubuntu and leopard trump XP is just staggering and idk how I used windows until I was 17

you only have issues with windows XP because a) you didn’t do a good job to secure it, believe me there is a lot to do, to properly do so. and b) Windows has just a huge market trying to attack it.

I’m excited to see this market shift to Mac OS, and the hackers that come with it.

followed the instructions to the letter, not to mention had issues with XP on the every of I ever used, keep in mind no major issues, typical windows crap, but that’s the difference that makes unix based oses > windows

Meh hackers didn’t really go to nuts the last time macs were popular back in the day of the eMac

Home desktop security is :tif:

Everyones computers are NATed behind routers/firewalls you can’t get directly to them all the hacking now involves some user interaction clicking a link…downloading a file…

from system admin perspective…I feel a lot better about putting a Unix based server facing the internet with no firewall over a windows server…

All operating systems suck… I’m not sure how using Linux makes any difference in how someone learns the ins and outs of a computer. I suppose it forces the user to learn but last time I checked (and my home desktop is running Vista) I have an above average idea of how a computer works.

I use Windows Vista, Fedora Core 9 and OS X pretty much interchangeably through out the day depending on if I’m at work/laptop/home/school. I find myself cursing way more at Linux and OS X than Vista.

BTW that article is hilarious: “No software is free and spreading that misconception is harmful.” :banghead:

I guess this just depends on your skill level…

Yeah I suppose… but I figure if I’ve been writing C code in Linux 4-8 hours a day for the past year and have owned mac laptops for the past 6 years I should be pretty good with them :wink:

I always find unrecoverable ways to break Windows…I some how manage to always un break linux ones…

^ lol