Local Engine Builders/Machine shop

hey guys, dunno if this is the right section and i haven’t found anything on here about this.

so which engine builders do you guys use/recommend? im building my SR20 and need some advice! :wink:

so far, i got a quote from ajax engines and they quoted me $800-$1000 for a complete short block build. price is obviously for labour only.

if you guys know of a reputable place, who has built an SR that would be great! also if you guys have dealt with this before, please share your prices that you paid for a short block rebuild. thanks!

A motor is a motor.
If you can build one, you can build them all.

Pending that you have the right parts, and your block needs no major work. Your looking from 400-800 (short block only {bottom end})

I have a reputable guy that does all my stuff. More of a private thing though.

If your interested, I can ask him if he wants to do it or not and get a price.
I will need full details though. What you have. What’s wrong with the block etc etc. Like, are you boring over? Re-polish and balance crank…blue print? etc etc

im rebuilding the motor due to rod knock. im getting all the parts, so yea. i would want it to be overbored .5mm, honed, polish and rebalance the crank. and for him to assemble the short block.

and as for the bearings, i would like him to get me the measurements before i buy. cause i dunno if i need std bearings or oversized bearings.

if you can ask that would be great! thanks!

he says around 700-800 with polish and re-balance the crank.

PM me if your serious with a phone number. I will get him to call you, or you to call him either today or sometime next week.

^Has your builder dealt with a lot of SBC’s??

aha.
He specializes in the old stuff.
Its basically where his heart is lol.
He built my 355 LT1, he’s building my 383 and has built all my father’s BBC.

Gen III motors shouldn’t be a problem then? lol

I built an SR by myself with no prior experience, sold it, and it’s been in a race car for 2 years now with no problems.

I say do it yourself. SR’s are very simple motors and you can get all the parts locally, then just find a FSM and take it slow.

any gen is fine.

anyone can build a motor by them selves.
But, do you have a line bore? cylinder honer, head planer etc etc? no.
do you have all the measuring tools? no.

Leave it to the pro’s.

Yea I’ve built KA’s no problem. But like he said, I don’t have all the proper tools. And given that I’m actually spending a lot of money on parts I want this motor to be perfect.

87s15lt1: I will pm you soon. I just gotta get my parts order ready first! Thanks!

Paying someone to get someone to build your engine. cries

Canadian Cylinder Head Technology.
I believe they are located right by Downsview.

Meh, I leave stuff I’m not 100% comfortable and confident with, to my guy. He’s never done anything to change that. Never had a problem with him.

It’s like paying roofers to do your roof. Or electricians to wire your house. Or in our case, someone that knows how to tune your car, to tune your car.

But, to each their own. I never have to worry about my motor. Never sweat it.
What about you?

My race built motors can be rip roared from the get go no problem. Yours?

• 1! Gram builds alot of high powered motors and every customer I know is happy with the work he puts out. I know about 20 people that has gotten their motor built there with no issues! He is located in the Keele and Finch area!

I would be paranoid as fuck if I rebuilt my motor myself. haha

STAY AWAY FROM AJAX ENGINES.remember i told you so.i dealt with them in the past,also couple buddies n it was nothing but problems. plus they are expensive compared to other shops that do better work cheaper…

Ok thanks for the heads up!

And does that canadian head place have a number I can call? Thanks again!