Looking at getting a Bike

So a friend got in a bit of legal trouble looking to sell me his bike… what do you think its worth?

its 2002 Yamaha YZF-600R
Blue like them all.
about 15k miles
and its been down more times then I can count…
Plastic is rough but most is still there
engine had a peace bust off under the stature cover, so stature cover replaced & engine JB welded.
the end of last summer the bikes chain poped off cracked the tranny housing and all the fluid leaked out… hasn’t been started seance…
tires are continental tires off a cruiser and could use replacing

only mod is a D&D pipe
has a clean title.

i say its worth about 20k so you probably wouldnt want it so give me his number :smiley:

but realy, if the trouble he is in is 3grand then give him 3grand, that kinda thing

no I planed on helping him out as much as I can… we already agreed on a price… just wonder if it was a steal and I should feel bad… or Im a vary good friend :stuck_out_tongue:

maybe $500 … just cause it has a clean title …

meh, i wouldn’t pay more than 2k for it to be honest. Beat plastics, mechanical issues, higher mileage (especially for those trannys)…

/\ agree 2nd usally goes from what ive read about the bike… I do know the bike was maintained well (as I did the maitained it (oil changes/ I told him it needed a new chain he put it off)) and he just DDed wasnt overly abused… but with the chain going threw the housing I will probably look for a new housing or just replace the hole tranny…

Not only that but the chain cracked tranny housing and lost all fluids and I would imagine with the bike still running for at least a small period of time afterwards.

:word: Why would you pay your hard earned money for a busted piece of shit? The bike sounds haaaaaaaagard. :tdown:

Oh, and maybe I’ve just never had to live with a crotch rocket but how the fuck does a chain break a tranny housing?

true, or the fact that if all the fluid drained out and the bike sat for over a year with no fluid in the case, well, i don’t need to explain why that’s bad.

If you get the bike on the cheap, i would probably shop around for a rebuilt tranny to be on the safe side…

There isn’t a tranny housing. The transmission is part of the engine. Unless you’re talking about a clutch cover, you can’t just replace a housing. Engines for a 600r should be real cheap though. http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/4/Make/Yamaha/YearID/43/Year/2002/ModelID/6046/Model/YZF600R/GroupID/244276/Group/CRANKCASE

it almost sounds like more of a headache than its worth. the money you would be putting into it to get it running again would be somewhere comparable to just buying a decent running bike. not to mention, you probably wont get all your money back when it comes time to sell it.

it’s worth more than 500 from the description he gave. If he can pick it up for 1500 or so it’s still a deal imho. Put 500 more into it and have a fun rocket. Or you could go pay 4k+ for a “mint” one, but he knows the bike and the seller.

from the sounds of it, $500 is being very generous. tires alone will cost half that, new chain, sprockets, and an engine. shit, i paid $300 for my gs500 motor and that was a lucky find.

i see what you’re saying, i guess i’d have to see pictures and know what he is actually paying before i could argue about it being worth the money though. The chain snapping COULD be an easy fix depending what actually cracked, depends how trashed the plastics are, etc. If everything is on the minor side of the fence, it might be worthy

No, don’t do it, the “trans housing” crack is the chain snaped and wrapped up in the front sprocket. cracked the case. do not use JB weld on a bike, if it falls off and oil gets on your tires your going to die.
If you buy it i suggest parting it on ebay

I’d pay $1k, no more than $1500 and part it out. That bike sounds like a headache

Haha, i know this bike from experience. Its been through some rough times, if you don’t end up getting it Mike, tell Ricky id be interested.

I agree. But then again if you have the money to spend and instead of just lending him the money you get a bike then I guess I would. Just part it out on ebay. The bike is 6 years old and you could probably make more by parting it out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ctnewman2/scanners5gu.gif