looking for new job

He has had a few days to work on it, so we don’t know that for sure.

He is conforming to the corporate mold nicely. He is at the anger stage. Up next will be negotiating, depression and acceptance.
They we can really grind his gears.

FWIW prevailing wage is based off union tradesmen pay/benefit package. Union guys get that wage on every job. Not just on prevailing wage jobs.

When I quit Delta Sonic a couple years ago, I avg. 15$ an hour doing fluid flushes, rotating tires, and inspecting cars. I had that job for 7 years along with a couple others to get me through school. In the lube shop, I NEVER made less than 12 an hour

Apply to the lube shop, specifically Transit Rd, OP, or NFB

---------- Post added at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Also not to mention I had a shit ton of fun and met thousands of people, I handed my resume out to a couple hundred, got myself a few internships, and developed relationships that got me into my career today, knock on wood doesn’t lose job at end of the day

Well when you help out the SIL of the head of HR… good things can happen!

Lol that’s right

I work 45+ hours a week, go to school full time and still enjoy myself outside of both. Is it exactly what I want to do? Not even fucking close. But, I will graduate with no debt, decent credit and a pretty solid resume, all the while finding ways to enjoy the fuck out of being 20 years old. Increase your human capital, build a skill set and work hard. Things will happen.

I agree.

hmm Ill look into it a little more man.

Oh believe me I know thats why im pissed with what happened in local 210. I was told i was a shoe in by my uncle and his friend who knows the president of local 210. My father currently works for them and has the last 8 years and is a ridiculous workhorse, my friends father works in their concrete division, my grandfather worked for them for 50 years. I named about 3 other people associated with local 210 when I talked to the presidents brother ( second in command)and basically said I wanted to know what I could do to get employed by them. He asked me if i was osha certified and im not but thats a stupid question because its a simple ten hour course you can take online from home. Then he said he knew my father and that he works there which i already knew.Then he asked if i had any experience with construction and i said not directly but ive helped build houses, paint houses, roofing,etc on side jobs. He told me that i needed to get my osha 10 card and sign up on the out of work list which has over 300 people on it and id have to start at the bottom of the list and pay 25$ a month in union dues and it might be years before i get a call from them. He then said " unions dont work how they used to anymore , you cant just buy into them" Which I took as a nice way of saying it doesnt matter who you know anymore. Which is bullshit because Him and his brother who is the president of the union got in because their father used to be the president. Basically half the shit he said to me was bullshit because if they wanted to hire me and find me work they could of the day i walked in there. I dont understand why… because my father is one of the hardest workers they have on the paving/ road crews and would vouch for me as well as the 4 other people I named. Im not a weak little 14 year old kid trying to get work im 24 , a hard worker young healthy buck with a strong build and clean backround. i figured i was a poster child of what theyd want to work for them. A young dude who they would mess with and put all the hard shit on till he earned his keep. It doesnt make much sense because I was extremely polite but still to the point. He seemed cool and like a nice dude but offered me no help really.

lol damn that doesnt sound like a bad gig

Im 25, I have work experience doing side jobs as in ( house painting, roofing, landscaping) As a hobby of mine I mess around with cars and flip them sometimes ive privately sold 15 cars over the years and can do that pretty well as well as advertise them and memorize information on cars.

I gave up on the bullshit general studies degree, if you read the rest of the thread. Thats what I was going to ecc for because I had no clue what i wanted to do after highschool, school has never been my thing or easy for me. I stopped going with about 75% of it done a year and a half ago. My plans as of right now are to pay off my student loans, medical bills and credit card. My bills right now arent bad at all Im very responsible and only buy things for myself once in a while that I can afford. So right now while im Looking into trades and debating if I ever want to go back to school, im looking for something that can help me along financially for the next year or so. Im not saying it has to be forever as im sure it wont be. But right about now any job paying 10 an hour or more full time is better than working is a bullshit grocery store 30 hours a week with mixed hours, weekends holidays at 9.90 an hour being treated like a piss on with no room to advance even the slightest bit.

Gotta do what you gotta do man it isnt a bad plan.

Sounds like you should do what the president’s brother said and get your OSHA cert and get your name on the roll, then start looking for ways to jump up the list.

Don’t ignore the comment about working in the lube shops at delta, if you have no experience, but can speak english, and have body parts (specifically arms and legs), you can, most likely will, make more than you’re earning now

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

I forgot to mention you need hands, but you may not need all of your fingers

After speaking with people in other unions and someone in 210 they told me not to bother. I am getting my osha cert nov 2nd. But Im not going to pay union dues (i know I know its only 25 a month) to sit on a list and possibly never get a call. Thats what i consider wasting money. Its basically the unions way of dangling a piece of meat high above an animals reach. They make money of putting hopes in your head that youll get a call., when usually you wont. There is no way to jump up on the list, its just sit and wait and hope one day you make the right connection and kiss the president or a foremans ass and they get you a job.

---------- Post added at 02:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

haha Ill talk to my cosuin who works at one and see what it entails.

Work for the state helping the handicap people they start at 30k and full benefits all you have to do is pass a civil service exam and drug test.

Lol @ making 30-50k at gegico, I make 56-60k a year doing the easiest work ever.

Knocking up sluts?

lmao

LOL, I’m really trying not to be an asshole here…it’s getting pretty hard. I so badly want to make an even worse comment

Yep. Stats are deff wrong. Oh wait. No…They aren’t.

Good luck in your search.

lol slampigs.

Nobody was disagreeing with you it was personal observations.

Yeah local 210 sounds like its fucked. Maybe that union doesn’t work the way it used to. Or maybe they just have zero work. In the two years I’ve been in 41, they have brought travelers in from other jurisdictions just to cover all the work the past two summers. Definitely no shortage of hours there.

In the same vein as most of the skilled trade suggestions, look into anything that’s related to shale gas exploration in NY or PA. I’ve heard from people in my degree field of entry level jobs paying $30-$40k, with starting degree work in the $80k/$1Beck range.

Take a look here for some basic experience required / job titles: http://www.shaledirectories.com/american-petroleum-institutes-industry-job-titles.html

There are probably much better resources out there than the link I’m posting here, but I don’t have them off hand. Google should help.