Looking for some help....

I just got a 240sx… its a 93 with a KA24DE but its not running really well… it just got a new head on it and it ran when i bought it but i got it home and now it wont start… it WILL with a little bit of gas but i’m really not sure whats up.

also, BOTH headlights wont turn on… they flip up but wont turn on. The tail lights do turn on… the turn signals work… everything but the headlights?

any ideas? anyone willing to take a look at the car for a small fee or free???

thanks everyone

is this the one u bought?

nope… my car has more kms…

i moved it a few mintues ago… it cranked for like a good 2 minutes b4 it started and when it did the whole car shook like the engine was having troubles starting… then it started and idled fine… does that help anyone ?!

anyone?!?! :frowning:

check the spark plugs see if the gap is ok you might have a misfire are your plug wires on tight, are they original, take off the distributor cap to see if its worn bits or anything. The headlights might just be burnt out or check the fuses and relays.

Thanks man. I took it to a mechanic this morning and he says its the mechanical timing with the timing chain… he pretty much told me all the symtoms i was having with out me telling him so im pretty sure he’s correct about the problem… only problem is there’s 2 chains…

anyone got the know how to do this with me? I dont mind paying for the help as I really need this done…

checked the fuses on the headlights both are Okay but they still dont turn on… o_O the kick panel inside doesn’t have a cover so i cant tell what any of the fuses inside the car are… anyone able to tell me from their car if there’s a headlight fuse in the kick panel? i checked the two under the hood by the battery.

I called around to find a new switch to see if maybe its the headlight switch on the steering column thats causing the problems o_O

You can either look them up on the internet, get a manual or steal a panel :twisted: . You could also go grab a cheap test light from NAPA and make sure there is power to both sides of each fuse. If there is power to all of them, most likely a relay or broken wire (doubt it) somewhere. To test a relay you can just switch your headlight relay out with a known working relay, such as horn. Also, do your high beams work? Or is it just low beams?

For your timing issue, I would suggest just sucking it up and taking it to a mechanic. I am very sure that his diagnosis is correct since you said it just got a new head on it and why the chain(s) might have been put out of alignment. Find out who did the head and see if they can fix it under warranty. If the dude you bought it off did it himself, then good luck. Its a fair sized job and Im not sure you want someone who says they know what they’re doing make things worst. (even under best intentions)

m

Thanks Very much for the awesome advice Warpedcore… as per the headlights:

I bought 2 new sealed beams from CrappyTire. I’m going to try swapping the headlights out and see… Also I bought a voltmeter… so ill be able to test and see whats getting voltage and whats not. so here’s hoping…

as per the timing… ya… i just thought there was people on here that knew enough about KA’s and 240’s that they might be able to do it … sigh guess not… :frowning:

Most people don’t come on here everyday. You have to be patient sometimes. You’ve wanted roughly a day… I’d leave it for a week before you get a solid answer. Try different forums, google, or the search button too.

indeed.

alright so new findings in the headlight problem… the fuses under the hood… infact i think the entire fuse box isnt getting power… it all looks like its plugged in… but i dont know why its not getting any power…

all the fuses in the car in the kick are good tested them with a voltmeter and there’s power on both sides of everything except one that i assume is the spare…

anyone have any ideas?

do you have the key in on pos? cause if there is no power going to you fuse box inside your engine bay, there will be a lot more than headlights wrong.

Yes the key is in… and all the other lights turn on… tails signals… markers… everything… and your right i dont think its the entire fuse box because the horn works … and the fuse for the horn is right beside the headlights.

Did you switch out the horn relay with the headlight relay and see if that worked? You can also take out the headlight relay and use your voltmeter/test light to check to see if there is power coming from one of the prongs in the fuse box. If there is, then power is interrupted somewhere between the engine box and your headlights.

flow of power

headlight -> fusebox (eng) -> fusebox (inside) -> headlight switch

your problem

headlight xx fusebox (eng) -> fusebox (inside) -> headlight switch

Im not really familiar with pop up headlights. Never had to fix headlights with the pop ups, so im not sure on the s13s if it runs on the separate circuit as the headlights or if they both work together.

They are built in as once circuit.

Get out the FSM and start checking.

well if there is a relay under the hood i honestly cant find it… the only relay i can see is the one for the headlights to open and close…

i have to go out and check again aparently there’s another relay by the airbox ? o_O according to another site… but i dont know if thats the 94 or not…