Loose sunroof latch

Ok, simple question. i’ve got a '90 hatchback with a loose sunroof latch. the damn thing whistles like crazy at highway speeds and when i get out and shut my door you can see the air push the sr up. i can wedge a lighter or something inbetween the latch and that stops the noise but its ghetto and i don’t wanna be like my neighbors! any ideas short of sourcing a new one? thanks

I removed the cover from the handle on the roof. and removed the bracket holding the handle on the roof. I wedged a piece of wood under that, and then reassembled everything. Once the cover is back on you can’t tell the difference, and my whistle is 100% gone :).

tighten up the screws underneath …usually works good

when i had my hatch i just opened the sunroof lol. but thats only works in the summer

thanks izzy, worked like a charm

Awesome dude! I’m glad I could help! :slight_smile:

can u take a pic? lol

Sure if you’d like. Not today but tomorrow definitely!

excellent (Mr. Burns voice)

Why not fix it the right way - remove cover, loose mount screws, slide the latch assembly (towards rear of car tightens the clamping force I believe) The mount has nelongated screw holes to allow for mount adjustment.

Reassemble - take for a test drive. My 90 240sx had crazy whistle at just normal highway speeds. Did the above and now it’s quiet.

You’ll notice a considerable difference in the tension of the latch, thus securing the sunroof glass against the rubber seal better.

This is the Nissan procedure.

Cheers,

lbrowne