looseing oil pressure on launch

Someone PM me and asked if my car did this on LS1 tech the other day. Its kinda a common thing. I’ve always forgot to look, and never really scan my car. I dont think It’s ever been at the track, I just drive it.
But I few years ago I did take a incar vid.

And sure enough if you full screen it at right about 3:44 is the best launch you can see the dash. I looks like it drops don a LOT for 1st gear :eek2: Thats back when the car was maybe getting 1.55s. Now its 1.4 on slicks and DR. It done that like 400 times haha. I put like 5 3/4 6 qts for its at the full mark. Its not a good thing, but 100’s of people have it happen too with no effects.
I’ll get it better over the winter, with a better oil pan (moroso) with rear pickup location. Or a better stock pan baffle that has a smaller trap door box, to keep the stock pickup (mid sump location) in oil. I miss went the trans shifted that good 4 years ago, gona freshen it too.

I’ve heard of this issue with high G cornering, but on launch…I’m just impressed.

i had the same problem on my stock motor, needless to say i now have a baffled oil pan on my car.

I’ve got an improved racing baffle in my rx7, but it’ll likely never cut a 1.5 or see over a G cornering, but it was pretty, and it came free when I bought the pan.

Ya Id like to check theirs out better. Ive seen them at newera but never looked into how well they drop the back.
It looks like the MAST and holley cast pan dont have the pickup in the back.

bob, how is it for the rear? I dont think its really for drag racing, Im sure it better the stock with the open space around the baffle to no lower walls. I’m wondering if their small area is to small (5x4?) and can run dry in time tipped at 6K
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6TPVx4W2O0

Sorry Studderin but I have to… Losing or Looseing? :slight_smile:

edit: could you fix that loss with an external tank like on an LS7? That seems like an engine-killing loss of pressure.

I could add a remote pressure source of oil, like a 1-2qt accusump. But not looking to bad-aid it like that and add more crap to take up room, and fail. But can’t just add anything LS7 (oil tank) thats a dry sump oiling system, don’t you understand the little GM booklets with the pics to show you guys? It doesn’t work like that :slight_smile:

Haha, There is a reason I do not work on my own car.

I think it might help, but I don’t really remember, I put that in a year+ ago. Mine didn’t have the trap doors, but it looks similar to this one. It looks like it would help keep some oil from sloshing backward.