loud knocking sound

ok, recently ive been hearing a single knock sound in the front right of my car. seems like a knock on my undercarriage. i thought it was my shocks/suspensions at first but i pressed down on them and nothing. then i thought it was my exhaust, but it is located more to the left side and the sound is coming from the front right side. could this be the ball joint on the tie rod end?

oh ya, this happens most of the time when i start my car, sometimes when i go over bumps, when i start off at first from a traffic light, and also when i reverse a little fast.

another thing it could be is that when i start my engine, it could be hitting my strut bar? but this has never happend for the past 4months i had my strut bar on.

thanks for any input on this.

could it be your top hats? when the wheel is turning the spring slips on the top hat because the bearing is seized? mine did that then i swapped it out

-Matt

^^ what is a top hat? i rarely hear this sound when turning the wheel.

i also raised the car just now on the side where i hear the noise. i still heard it with the wheel was off so it cant be my ball joint since my car isnt even in motion, and it doesnt make any sound while turning.

it seems like whenever the car recieves the most torque, it makes the 1 or 2 knock sounds. i do have 2 exhaust leaks, one b4 the resenator, and one somewhere near the engine bay area. i can hear air hissing out when i step on the gas. now, could this exhaust leak be the culprit of this knock sound? i also got a new clutch installed and this knocking started at 650km after the break in period. i now have 1200km on it. could it be coming from something not torqued tight enuff regarding my clutch?

i really thought it could be my exhaust hitting my tranny but its too far apart, and it sits on the left side right under the driver seat.

hrmmm

if your power doesn’t seem affected like a misfire, then it’s probably not related to the exhaust, exhaust leaks can cause abnormally low cylinder backpressure under boost and therefore higher VE leading to knock but…

it still could be the balljoint, and it could also be a spring popping in it’s perch, sometimes springs rub themselves, compression tries to turn the spring, if the spring is retained well and can’t turn sometimes it pops

^^ i thought a shot ball joint would make knocking sounds whenever turning. i can still do hard turns and not have a knocking sound. as well, i lifted the car so theres no pressure exerted on the ball joint whatsoever. it wouldn’t make sense that i hear this sound when i started the car when it was lifted.

and can you explain to me what these springs are, and where they are located? im not very mechanically inclined. thanks a lot.

ps: i do have an exhaust leak becuase i feel a sloppy throttle response and i can also hear air hissing out whenever i step on the gas.

pps: could this be a lifter tick issue? or would that be several knocks?

hey, well i brought it to a mechanic and he said its a “loose slide pin in my caliper”. i’m not sure if this really is the problem because it happens when i start the car. i dont think my whole wheel asembly shakes when i start the car. most ppl are saying the engine mounts.

anyone else have any insight on this?

hey i tihnk it could be the cat heatshield or maybe the manifold heat shield? Best would be to have the hood open, ask someone to look at the car when u start it up, they will prolly see what it is.

^^ ya my friend helped me with it but its so hard to find the exact noise. sounds like its under the engine tho. around that vicinity. if it was closer up to the surface id be able to point it out.

maybe i should check the engine mounts.

Engine mounts or tranny mount would be my guess.

Tighten ur lug nuts. I’m not shitting you, my car was making loud knocking noises, and one of my wheels wasn’t on tight.

Based on what you’re describing it sounds like either engine mounts or your upper strut mounts/bearings.

You could also check to ensure your 6 strut tower bolts are tight. If these are loose you’ll get just those type of symptoms.

Good luck.

alright i went under the car today and found the culprit. a loose bolt on my ENGINE MOUNT! i could have hand tightened it like at least 3 rotations. i tighten both sides and tranny mount as well and check other things while at it. i want to thank everyone for putting their time to reading my post and giving me good advice to help me head in the right direction.

Whats with these ass clown posts. I got a knock, can we actually hear your knock the comp? No. You need us to make you a list of this to check? The time it takes for you to sit around and make a usless post you could have been looking for your knock.

stfu. this is wat a forum is for. im not mechanically inclinded so im already greatful for ppls help. if you want to contribute, do so. if u have nothing better to say, keep on reading and move along. ur post is pretty hypocritical since its also “useless” for you to state whatever your crying about.

i’ll post whatever i want as long as its contributing to the forum. maybe one day someone else will have a similar problem and might think its a big issue and then read this post. booom, im helping the community. so when you smarten up and think about what is useless and wats not, then come talk to me. and not behind your computer. i’m done with this. thanks again to the people who actually GIVE BACK to this community! i really appreciate it.

knock knock stfu. he’s asking for help, you don’t want to help then move on.

Nicly put