LS1 Guys need an opinion on cams

^^^^

brings up a good point. if you have an auto, you might not like the looser converter needed for a larger cam.

psychopjv’s cam works very well NA and on the nitrous. I’ve driven several cars in the 230, .580"-.600" range and they all have a very nice characteristics across the board. (idle, power, tq, sound, response, nitrous, etc)

really big cams are cool, but if the car is driven a lot, i really think a large large cam will wear on you. sometimes its nice just to hop in the car and have it run nice and smooth and somewhat quiet

i personally rock something in the 235ish range with .6" on a 114… mine is tricky though because my cubes and turbo kind of cancel out the size of the cam (relative to an otherwise stock 346" engine). i personally wouldn’t go any bigger for a regular street driven car

my cam is a 231/237 112 lsa .595 / .605

From what i hear its an awesome nitrous cam, i went 12.0 @ 117 with this cam (you were there :)) so it moves good. I know the car has 11’s in it. I guess if i wanted to cam my car over again from scratch, and wanted something agressive i would go with the 233/239 cam, based on what i have read its awesome,

cheatr is supposed to be nice. haven’t the new era guys done a few of these? they can chime in. i know when i was there they had a few cars running some decent cams and all of them made good power and idled very well.

I am running a 238/244 605/612 comp cam on a 112lsa in my car with a 4000 stall

its not too bad around town and I am suprised how nicely she goes on the thruway

Gas mileage sucks and I wouldnt want to daily drive it but it makes 430rwhp/414#'s

if your happy with having a h/c full bolt on car, that only makes 410-425whp and 375-385 wtq. And run 12’s then tsp stuff works.
I think from 50 tsp camed ls1 cars on our dyno the highest number is a mid 400 with aft heads. Look around ,performance per size of the setup is’t impressive, as much as people don’t like to hear it.

dyno numbers aren’t everything here. Not everyone wants to run out and spend $2400 on a set of AFR’s or even more on some ETP’s. how is 450 a bad number? like i’m saying it’s worked on plenty of people’s cars. plenty have ran great times on tsp stuff. If you hate it fine. but don’t let your hate influence someone else’s decision. how many people have you heard of with my cam? i’m willing to bet 0. nobody i know anywhere has it. it’s even hard to find good info on ls1tech. but you know what, my car was budget built. $450 for heads/springs, $200 for cam, s60 $2300, and it runs like a raped ape. I am more than happy that i didn’t spend a ton of money on AFR’s and a $400 cam. For what another 20-30 hp? i don’t track it enough to give a shit. if i run deep 11’s i’ll be more than satisfied.

I didnt know those numbers suck
I guess alot of cars make more power and run faster NA with only h/c and bolt ons

Our Dyno? Why shoveling the shit on Texas Speed? If you haven’t heard dynos are for tuning. The real deal is how the car runs, “at the race track” Keep the dyno numbers for bench racing because that is all it is good for

the TSP 233/239 is a badass cam, look around :slight_smile:

mine is cam only and is prob only about 400-410 rwhp (car made 419 with stock intake manifold but that was through a 10 bolt)… but traps 117 in the 1/4th and with the right conditions should go 11’s no prob… and it weighs 3750 with me in it :smiley:

+1 to dyno numbers dont mean everything

LOL at TSP bashing…

yea their older cams like the 231/237 are meh…but at the time when they came out they were good…Now there are much better grinds and improvements on old designs…

233/239 is a good cam along with the Torquer V3…The Newera street sweeper is very similar to the T3…

I love people throwing out track times and dyno numbers with out the important details of the setup…weight, gearing and other major variables…(OMGZ my old car dynoed 350rwhp and went 12.1 with a stock motor with bolt ons quicker then some cammed cars around this area :lol:)

Figure out what you want to rev to…Figure out if your car is mostly street or mostly strip…Figure out what kind of idle you want…Figure out how much time you want into tune…

Keep it stock and dont hate yourself for years to come.
i keed i keed.

what, like 6k rpm ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Cougarspeed the crazy sob had some nice results w/ a TRex lol…gogogo!

edit: damn he beat me by a page

ps: is that motor STILL running???

Yes it is and just did a full compression and leak down and everything is perfect. I took it out the other night and spanked and RAPED a supra and a ZO6 lol you know the norm. Its running faster and better then ever.

PS-still revving to 7300

That was john posting on my name. Our power went off and he used my phone to post. Low 4’s is fine for most people I am sure, but so may of the cars that NEP does these days are more, some without all the fancy stuff :snky:

Yes I agree its just a tool, to use compare a gain or loss. My gtp when 11’s making 340 whp on innovative dyno, And mid 11’s making less the 400. Same for my camaro. At 316whp at about 3500#s was running low 12’s. I know about cars that run good at the track, AND street, and its not all in the dyno number, thanks.

But this is about bananas asking about a streetsweeterHT cam, and a used TR cam. So this don’t matter really, and after going another 5 pages on:
why my cam is better, my car is budget, I don’t know what Im talking about, you should get this huge cam, you should get a custom under the curve cam someone is PMing you about it, I love my cam xxx, fuck you guys and your dramma… The thread will be locked. And whatever cam he goes with, it will make more power then his stock cam, and he will be happy.

Which is probably why he mentioned running 12’s as part of his statement. :sario:

BTW this is important for you guys, just because LS1tech has been brought up a source for info. Don’t believe everything you read on the internet, especially on LS1tech. That site makes a LOT of money, and its in there best intrust to keep it flowing in with happy sponsors. A lot of parts have false claims and good marketing. A cam (and heads) for a LS1 are at the top. Its known what shops dyno will say a car gained XYZ hp with there cam, but the no one else has ever do it. Next time banans, and ultradriver are at the shop site at the dyno computer and see what cams, make what power in the real would.

So in your unbiased opinion which Newera cam would you suggest :lol: :lol: :lol:

I assume you have back to back dynos where the only things changed is the cam and tune(Not oh we put a fast 90 and new headers on at the same time…and oh yea the old cam was never tuned)? Under the same conditions?

Newera needs to put a fucking leash on you…Every post you make hurts their reputation…

Not really. The “unbiased” opinion is the one that he used, and had great results with. Who cares where it came from, results are what matter.

he doesnt work here anymore, he just supports us online and in person everywhere, helps out every now and then, but is off payroll.