LS1 overheating...

On my way home from work this morning, I saw the check guages light come on and saw my engine was overheating. Pulled over immediately and checked out the coolant level, completely empty. So called a friend up, and he brought a few jugs of water. I put a jug of water in and it was completely filled up, the car sat long enough to reach normal temp 210.

Turned it on to see if anything was leaking, and it wasn’t. I drove close to 10 miles back home, and the car stayed at 210 the entire drive. While idling in my driveway I saw the guage start creeping up over 210 again so turned the car off, looked for leaks, none.

The car is still warm so not going to pull the radiator cap off yet. But I checked the fluid in the fill cap, and it was really cold to the touch, like it didn’t cycle through the radiator or something. Another thing, the dip stick for the coolant had like a dirt or pollen on it, could something be clogged?

I don’t understand whats going on with it so any help is appreciated. Thanks guys.

Could be air in the system.

Let it cool down, jack up the front end and fill up the radiator. Turn the car on and wait for thermostat to open and continue filling.

Your thermostat may be getting stuck as well. Check your hoses next time there is an overheating issue to make sure it’s cycling through.

New thermostat should only be around $10 and easy to change.

what does your exhaust smell like?

t-stat could be sticking and puking antifreeze out and ya not seein it till its empty … orrrr noone ever topped it off at all and it finally got to a point that it was to low .

replace the thermostat for sure if nothing else. Ultima was overheating last year(Ls1 powered) and tstat was locked up partial open.

thermostat.

this doesnt happen to be Nick’s friends GTO that has been running like shit, anyways. Is it?

its a f-body . same car i called ya on wit the rear end drew

It’s the humidity man

Thanks guys didn’t get to check here yesterday. Im gonna have the system flushed and replace the t.stat.

I may have to replace the pump gasket as well, saw it dripping for the first time this morning.

2 water pump gaskets are needed. I haven’t had one leak on me yet, mine are still the originals and I reused them after I installed my cam 6 years ago. They are only about 2 bucks, it’s just a bitch to change them. Might as well pick up a cam as you’re half way there!