LS1 people, a little help please

My neighbor just picked up a 99 Camaro SS for basically free. It has some run issues, but is at a mechanic shop getting those worked out. He asked me about how to get the power level up to 450-500. Are there any websites I can point him toward or some tips and tricks I should look out for? Thanks for any help you can point me toward.

ls1tech has been fantastic for info. learned alot from that site.

i am sure if you contact JJs automotive(pewter) they can fix you up. as there is a wealth of knowledge on ls1s there.

450-500 crank or rw HP? Budget? Goals/use of the car (daily driver, drag race only, autox, road course, etc)?

-TJ

what’s an ls1? :dunno:

JJ’s FTW!!

JJ’s FTMFW.

JJ’s is where it’s at.

So JJ’s pretty good aye? Ive yet to make it down there to see those guys but hearing only good things about em. Well hes got an SS, which is a good start, should be somewhere around 315-320 at the wheels already. Theres a good chance there are already a few bolt ons if you havent looked yet so do some digging in on what ya have, were not the only people who like to go fast as possible haha. The first thing you need is a set of long tube headers and dual exhaust, rumors have it they add around 30hp, i never side-compared a set of dynos myself. Next i would work on air intake, getting an aftermarket air lid and a LS6 intake. Air lids go for around 100 bucks and add a little bit of horse and looks better IMO, any aftermarket lid does the trick. A Stock LS6 intake will add from 10-15 horse power because of the significant airflow increase, and cost around 300 bucks used. Tons of them are for sale on ls1tech.com and any one will do, its basicly a direct bolt on, no mods needed. You should be sitting around 350-360hp by then considering the help of the ram air SS hood.

Now the expensive part which your buddy will have to do alot of research on, or just take to his fav motor shop ;D , A new cam and heads. They right cam will add aleast 50hp to that set up, and a set of patriot CNC milled assembled 243 casting heads will add another 50 hp for the cheapest price. A Cam costs around 350 bucks, Heads between 1100-1500 or more depending if you go to a high head casting like trickflows.

Now this is considering he installs it himself, your looking at:
Lid - 100 bucks
Exhaust - 400 bucks
Headers - 400 bucks
LS6 intake - 300 bucks
Cam - 350
Heads - 1300

Total $2850

A cam and head install was just quoted to me at around 1500 bucks. But hey, your friends car will be a runnin sob and run 11s lol. Also i recommend a stall torque converter and a set of 3.73 gears, will help out alot.

JJ’s Automotive FTW :bigthumb:

You’re leaving off tons of stuff that will add up quick (head gaskets, head bolts/studs, crank bolt, exhaust mani gaskets, blah, blah) and specing out bottom of the barrel heads and headers at those prices.

-TJ

450-500 (gonna be hard to hit 500) rwhp + stock suspension/tires = no hope at all for traction…

where the hell is a running into a tree w/ a car smiley when you need it…

i just did ls6 heads bigass cam and convertor in my car. will see how it runs. but those numbers will be difficult to hit with stock bottom end.
like stated before what are the goals?
that should be first question that needs answered. with 45-500 that should almost get you in the 10s so keep a realistic goal in mind

haha yeh i know but we dont need to get into that haha

Give us a call,so we can talk,but the 450-500 range on stock bottum end is out there!

get a nice set of AFR mongoose heads

x42423657587325634765

yup just give us call

JJ’s Automotive
5144 Church St
Mount Pleasant, PA 15666
Located 45 Minutes East of Pittsburgh, PA.
724-547-2959
or
800-680-2959

thank you all. I’ll pass it all on and will be calling JJ’s

they did my cam back in the day… prob was around 400 rwhp. fuckin car ripped. i loved that car.

400 is pretty easy, 450 is tough and 500 N/A is a real task.

there are quite a few 500 hp LS1s on LS1tech.com. I would say go headers, exhaust, lid, ls6 intake and spray the hell out of it. N2O FTW.

They are the BEST!!! :bowdown: JJs