LS2 Upgrades

I am looking into buying an LS2 powered car and I want to know what kind of options are out there and what resources are good places to start if I want to do some upgrades to an LS2. I drove in a friend’s car today who traps 101 in the 1/8th and makes 500+ rwhp all motor. Any input from the domestic crew would be appreciated.

[quote=“EvoMR”"]

I drove in a friend’s car today who traps 101 in the 1/8th and makes 500+ rwhp all motor.

[/quote]

How did that go? The roads are pretty awesome right now.

if you wanna do a cheap all motor/nitrous build slap on some l92’s with a decent sized cam and that will put you at around 540 at the motor. now spray it with a 100 shot and you my friend will have fun breaking your rear end.

[quote=“Devioustsi,post:2,topic:24623"”]

How did that go? The roads are pretty awesome right now.

[/quote]

There’s a little less snow in southern Florida right now :wink:

[quote=“psychopjv,post:3,topic:24623"”]

if you wanna do a cheap all motor/nitrous build slap on some l92’s with a decent sized cam and that will put you at around 540 at the motor. now spray it with a 100 shot and you my friend will have fun breaking your rear end.

[/quote]

Something along these lines? http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0702gm_ls2_engine_l92_heads/

[quote=“EvoMR,post:4,topic:24623"”]

There’s a little less snow in southern Florida right now :wink:

[/quote]

As Mr. Matthew rubitalot would say… Luckeeeee!!!

[quote=“EvoMR,post:5,topic:24623"”]

Something along these lines? http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0702gm_ls2_engine_l92_heads/

[/quote]

exactly. it’s cheap and you cannot beat the bang for the buck. that motor made 548 at the motr. not too shabby. figure on about 475-485 to the wheels then. now whack it with a 100 or 150 shot and you have a cheap build that makes fantastic power and is sure to keep you happy for sometime.

im a LSx n00b, but it seems to me that the lsx motors really see some gains from long tube headers, heads, cam and a tune. not sure what the longtubes run for the car in mind, but i know they are crazy expensive for my GTO but everyone says they are well worth it, so I would start there and do a full exhaust and then get into a cam and heads, etc.

Some great info there.If I decide to keep my 06,I may just have to do this.Anyone catch a total parts price?
D

[quote=“misteroman$$$,post:9,topic:24623"”]

Some great info there.If I decide to keep my 06,I may just have to do this.Anyone catch a total parts price?
D

[/quote]

i dind’t. but the heads can be head for about $375/piece. these are fully assembled with valves/springs. You will need an l76 intake if you do this which isn’t too expensive and already has a 90mm opening in it. The fbod guys sell the 90mm tb that comes with the intake since it’s DBW. the cam will run between 275- 450. depends on what monster you want to put in it. with a cam you may need to upgrade the springs ($200)on the l92 heads. pushrods are a must($125-150). Radnom gaskets and such. All in all less than $3,000 in mods to make over 600 hp seems like a steal to me.
As for the GTO boy. yes intake/exhaust are great mods and the LSx motors respond well to it. Obviously you don’t want to go throwing heads and a cam at something while running the stock mani’s (though they don’t flow nearly as bad as they are made out to). We all know an engine is a big air pump so air in and air out = best results. Longtubes are going to vary in cost dramatically depending on the brand. Kook’s, QTP, Hooker, Hedmann, SLP…etc. Lt’s are usually starting around the $350 area and work up to about $1300. Then you have to decide on keeping the cats or letting em go. If gone you’ll need a y-pipe. Then of course a sexy cat back to bring the mean sound all together. Don’t rule out the shorties either as they make good torque just don’t gain as much on the topend. Shorties + cats = deep throaty growl. LT’s + catless = loud noises.
any other questions? :lol: sorry so long.

Sounds like when the warranty is up on my gto I’m going to have some fun. :slight_smile:

I wish mine had an LS2 :frowning: Stoopid LS1 and their wimpy 5.7 liters.

Those new heads rock…you can throw together a real nice 40X LSx motor for a lot cheaper now.

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:13,topic:24623"”]

Those new heads rock…you can throw together a real nice 40X LSx motor for a lot cheaper now.

[/quote]

Don’t you need an LS2 or > a 4.0" bore to run those heads? Meaning they won’t fit the LS1 due to the fact that the cumbustion Chambers are too big for a 3.90 bore??

Yea but I would be putting them on a bigger bore motor anyways.

What is the best tuning solution if you go with some of the parts mentioned above?

firehawk can help you out there but i have no idea where he has been

After driving in what I deemed to be a great sleeper and DD, I am thinking of trading in the STI for a new daily in the Spring and I want to figure out what the best mod/tuning path would be for ~500whp.

500 whp will require an aggressive cam and head combo with Fast 90/90 and full bolt ons (good ones) . Or , a procharger, turbo kit, or nitrous with bolt ons will get you there as well and most likely past that . If you want to talk more about it feel free to give me a call 585-865-1832 and I can try to answer more questions for you .

Mike

[quote=“BLKUUS6,post:19,topic:24623"”]

500 whp will require an aggressive cam and head combo with Fast 90/90 and full bolt ons (good ones) . Or , a procharger, turbo kit, or nitrous with bolt ons will get you there as well and most likely past that . If you want to talk more about it feel free to give me a call 585-865-1832 and I can try to answer more questions for you .

Mike

[/quote]

the fast 90/90 is the biggest waste of money ever.