LSD question...

Very loud clunking noise when i am turning from the rear … L.S.D going for sure, right ?!

I know its ok and possible for aftermarket LSD’s to make little noise but mine is factory s13 and its clunking REAL LOUD …

any trustee shops i can get it checked at ?

thanks

are you sure its not a mechanical? well if your curious just drain the fluid and than take the cover of and take a peak. check the teeth on the axles and on the diff

Yeah. I know when a viscous LSD kicks the bucket it just turns into an open diff. Unless you’ve really effed something up it’s gotta be a mechanical :rolleyes:

B-Wurm :smiley:

I’m a n00b,

what do guys mean by “a mechanical” ?

“Mechanical” or “Viscous” just reffers to the mechanism with which the differential forces the axles to spin at the same time. A mechanical lsd uses the friction from clutch packs and springs to lock the two shafts together whereas a viscous lsd uses a fluid, that when heated hardens and locks the two shafts together.

Now, mechanical LSDs make LOTS of noise during slow, sharp turns. It’s the clutch packs engaging and disengaging. It’s good for scaring mothers and their small children.

Here’s a link that goes a little more in-depth.

Thanks a lot for the detailed info and link guys.

I did not know the difference between mechanical and viscious LSD. Does s13’s ever came with viscious LSD or OEM is mechanical ? or other way around.

It is weird because I’ve got the car like last week, got it checked all around on and mechanic did not mention anything wrong with LSD. So only the viscious LSD uses fluid ? or mechanical LSD still uses some kind of differential fluid ?.. I drove it few times but did not drive it little harder until last night.

Didnt slide or anything like that but threw it into few corners hard, there was no noise than, than after the cruise, i was going into my building and on low speed around the corners, it just started clunking like a mother.

If its a stock diff it will be a VLSD unless its from an S15, AFAIK.

S13s from the years 91-94 came with a viscous unit in Canada, they all had it in Japan. In the US they all had an open diff. Never came with mechanical anywhere.

Now, is it an imported 180 or is it the LHD rendition? If it’s from Japan it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it’s got an aftermarket LSD. From around here I’m not sure what the odds are of picking up a used car with that mod.

Anyway, they all use fluid. In a viscous LSD, the medium that locks the output shafts is contained inside the unit. In both, gear oil lubricates the ring gear of the diff but also lubricates the inner workings on a mechanical.

Also, mechanical LSDs tend to clunk more when they get hot, spirited driving would warm it up quite well. Did you notice any tire chirping or anything like that when you were driving and made sharp, low speed turns? If you did, the LSD is doing its job. If not it could mean it’s just getting worn out.

Or there’s always the possiblity that it’s actually hooped. :lol:

Cuz S15’s came with helicals right ?

Maybe its possible that a mechanical aftermarket LSD’s in my s13 right now…

again went for a ride today, driving nice, no noise nothing, after few hard corners and little speeding, it starts clunking

NOOB yours is aftermarket stop embarassing yourself…lol

EMBARASSSSSMMEENNTT MUST GOO ONNN BUmP!!

dont worry bora, it sounds like i have some boulers clunking around in the back of my car to :E

you sure it is the diff and not subframe bushings or driveshaft steady bearing?

no it is deffinately the diff!!!

I think rob has a lsd for sale. pm him.

HAHAHA