LTE boosters

Do these things work? I get 2 bars of 4G (Verizon) outside my house on a bad day, but 2 bars of 3G inside my house regularly and I can definitely notice a difference as the bars start to drop out as I move inside. I was thinking about getting a zBoost (or something like it) and putting the antenna on my roof.

Are these worth the money or just snake oil?

I don’t know about LTE specifically but all of the cell signal boosted I have seen/used worked fine.

One of the ones that is out right now you can hack and listen to peoples calls :lol:

Roof antennas you typically need to do some drilling. Just get a microcell from your provider. You add your phones to it and just plug it into your internet.

microcell/boosters/extenders currently only boost voice signal (and work through in house high speed internet)

to the best of my knowledge, without plugging an antennae directly into your phone, there are no options for boosting 3g/lte

Be careful using wireless repeaters, they usually violate lots of FCC regulations.If you don’t “own” the spectrum, you’re technically not allowed to use it, and by use it i mean broadcast onto it. We occasionally can detect people using them (depending on the type), and then have to send out engineers to the field to have you remove it. Usually the first offense we just handle it, but if its a repeat offender then we have to report it to the FCC.

If its a signal jammer, that’s a huge FCC violation. They consider tampering with communication systems to be an act of terrorism. Sounds a bit extreme, i know, just letting you know how it is!

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Link?

Is that for a GSM based network or CDMA…i can’t see it really working on CDMA. CDMA is far more secure than GSM,

http://threatpost.com/verizon-femtocell-hack-intercepts-calls-data-transmissions

Ah i see, but this is a bit misleading though (or rather i just misunderstood), I was thinking you were talking about snooping like they used to do in the old analog cell phone days (similar to how people do with police scanners now). I just did a quick scan of the article and it seems as if the vulnerability is in the femtocells, which most standard users don’t have. Also, only users who have femtos use them i believe, calls won’t make handoffs to a femto if your say driving by it like it would with a normal cell site. We don’t include these in our hand-off-tables. I’m sure they’ll provide a firmware patch to fix that relatively soon.

This one claims to only boost data, not voice.

Also, this is my only source of internet. No cable or DSL available.

If you are worried about boosting your data, connect to Wifi. These are only made to boost your cell signal as they connect to your home internet and would just send your data over your home internet connection anyways.

Here’s some extra info from them on consumer cellular boosters:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/signal-boosters/consumer-boosters/index.html

I HAVE NO WIFI IN MY HOUSE. MY PHONE IS MY SOURCE OF INTERNET.

I run FoxFi from my phone and connect my iPad, computer, and laptop to my phone. If my phone does not have a strong data connection, I have terrible speeds on any and all devices. Time Warner cable does not provide service to my road, Frontier does not recommend DSL because of how slow the speeds are on my road.

Move.

Descent suggestion. But I was hoping someone had experience with a DATA BOOSTER, like the one in the link. I hate driving to work twice a week after hours to watch my online classes for an hour and a half.

Currently sitting with 1 bar of 4G, but the phone is hanging by the charger out a first floor window.

Nothing you can do.

If you have a line of sight to a home with TWC, directional wifi ftw

So the booster I posted a link to is bunk? That sucks, I was hoping for a bit of a bump in data speeds since I’m just on the cusp of good coverage.

Shit signal in, shit signal out, boosted or not.

No way to take signal on the border and boost it up. Even if there was a way for data, you’d have to get closer to the good signal to amp it further.

So that booster is all marketing mumbo jumbo. They tell you to put the antenna 15’ above the receiver and 30’ away to get the best reception and avoid cross-talk/noise. Sounds reasonable, but really doesn’t do shit. Figures…

Where are you located? General area…and who’s tour provider? At Verizon were building lots of new sites coming up until December…lots are pretty rural. Currently working on a site to increase coverage in belfast if your out that way lol!

Bloomfield, just west of Canandaigua. I believe I live half way between two towers as it is.

Ah, unfortunately I work for the buffalo region, Bloomfield would fall over to the roch guys. I can always ask some of the RF guys there to see if they have any plans on growth for the area.