Lug Nut Lock

Anyone have any idea how to get it off with out a key? I bought the car from the dealership and they gave me no key and the dealerships about a 7 and half hour drive. Ill be calling them later today but I dont feel like waiting to put my rims on.

They make a tool just for that. I think irwin makes one, actually.

pound a cheap 12-point socket onto the nut with a hammer. Best way to get the socket off is to hammer it at an angle with the nut finger tight, so the stud is holding the nut in space and you can break the socket loose.

a reverse spline “bolt out” kit would work. sears sells them.

its a socket with reverse threaded teeth that dig and and grab whatever stuck nut/bolt u need. need a vice to get them out of the sockets many times tho.

also works quite well.

What size is the nut? I have 1/2" lug nut removers that you can use if it is that size. It bites into the lug then removes it. I have 4 total. I bought this in a 2 pack but the other 4 i had to toss becuase the lug nut was lodged in the teeth. lmk

I had to remove Key’d lugs from my in-laws truck.
The shop he bought it from never gave him the key.

I borrowed a kit that was designed specifically for removing security lugs.
It was pretty easy, but I can’t remember who made it.

You will need to replace it once it’s off though.
The sockets looked just like these.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952165000P?keyword=00952165000&sLevel=0

this thread should serve as a reminder to everyone why wheel locks are stupid. if you lose/break lock, you can’t get it off. however anyone can buy tools to take them off anyways, so it is no theft deterrent… :fu:

hmm i really dont feel like spending money to buy a tool because i know i probably wont ever run into this problem… i guess ill just wait it out and call the dealership and hopefully they have it and can ship it… Otherwise, im probably going to have to get some different sockets

should be a 1/2in its on a f body… if the key wasnt shaped so wierd i probably could think of something

12-point socket is the best way to go they are thin(most of the time) and will fit into the rim if you have arim like that… the value “buffalo tools” they are cheep and work nice…

not that I would know how to get them off or anything :snky:

you know this topic has come out many times Im sure you could have searched it

Happened to me with my stang from Doyle Ford. Took it back, they didnt have the key so they used an air chisel to work them off.

http://nyspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62179&highlight=lug+nut

oh look and I said the same thing

thats a seized lug nut totally different concept… jk, im sure i could waste time searching but everyone is so helpful , i felt like asking

i have done this before and it works :tup:

Im just fucking with you … but best way is the 12pt … make sure you put it on as stright as you can …its the only issue you may have if it goes on at a angle it may just fall off but I have never had a issue

its alright, ill actually go out in a little and try that

Park it on east ferry and walk to Birchfield’s for a beer. Your problem will be gone by the time you get back. If you make it back.

+1 to a socket and BFH.

Goto sears, buy the 15 dollar wheel lock remover. Pound on reverse off. Only con is they are only good for 2. Maybe 3 cars. I have the snap on version that is unbreaKable so far

WOW coincidence, I just got to rotating my tires for the first time and the key friggin broke on the 3rd wheel. All the lugs on that wheel were way to tight, had to change up to a 6 point on the normal nuts because I almost rounded the one off with a 12 pt. I’m friggin pissed.

Now do I get another key from mcguard and have the same thing happen to the new key?

I think I’m just going to try to buy the extractor, take all 4 off and go with no locks…