Need Help ASAP. lugnut lock broke off top.

anyone here know of a place i can drive to to take off the lugnut off my car? the top of the lock lugnut broke off the top and now its like a open end lugnut without any grip on it. i need a shop taht can do it without damaging the aftermarket chrome rims. any advice or sugguestions are greatly appreciated. i was trying to put on my winter rims and the dam thing snapped off.

just if curious… i have a torque bar and torque to 80lbs everytime i put rims on any car. i do not overtorque rims. it prob broke due to rust/seize or cold weather and poor design . if your wondering what they are. its mcgard locknuts, cad tire has them, alot of oem dealerships use them. i thought it was fine . i guess 2 years is all its good for.

might have to hammer a small socket on whats left and try that, or if its right screwed you could drill out the stud, might take awhile.

I’m pretty sure canadian tire sells sockets that can grip onto something like that.

12point socket hammer it on and turn it out do not use impact gun it will only strip that way

Try putting 2 slits in the lug nut and insert something in there and turn…

thanks guys for quick replies. ima try the 12 pt socket technique… its all over youtube and online. il let you know how it works out

Try an extractor set Season?

Your just putting your snow tires on now… theres 2’ of snow here already… Guess the GTA hasn’t got it yet.
Anyway, I had a similar problem and I had to drill the lug out until I could get the nut off then replace the lug. But my lug was free spining and there was no other way.
Sucks when changing your wheels may cost you a couple hundred bucks.

haha yeah mississauga has close to no snow. at most 1 cm

I hate when lugs fuck around, i tried so long to get one of mine off.
Then just tighted the 3 that where good, and eventually the stripped one fell off.
I wouldnt suggest this technique lol

I used an impact hammer to take off mine, but i kind of messed up my rim.

There’s tools for everything. Lock nut extractor would probably work best, if the 12 point doesnt.

just about to say that. they also have a full set for different size bolts. hammers right on and tightens as you loosen the nut.

the nut extractor doesnt fit inbetween my rim and the locknut… i test fitted it and its not gna work on the rim… i cant take the option to damage these rims as they are chrome rims off my sister car
so i tried 2 regular sockets today and both got ko’ed it seems mcgards locknut are so much stronger metal then imagined and yet it broke right off when i applied any force on it.
anyone got 12pt deep socket 16mm they can sell me? cad tire doesnt have any / only 6 pts and im running outa time.

now i just want to find a shop to do the job… any recommendations? its getting colder and colder outside. and snow gna hit sauga sooner or later. my summer tires aint gna work.

so to close off the thread. if anything like this ever happens to you and it comes up on a search result. i had went to wheels direct tire shop at mcowen and sheppard and they actually have the service for removing broken keylocks. they were able to take off the lock that had very lil clearance without scratching or damaging my rim. so as im so glad it came off with ease i wanted to thank them and let others know that can be done .

just out of curiosity, how much did they charge?

aww sucks, ive come across this problem quite a few times on customer cars. gotta be careful with those rims you dont have much space to work, hammer a inpact socket on (black Ones). if that doesnt work, its gonna be hard unless you can find a extractor that fits, i have use a chisel and got it off without any damage to rim but had a bit more space.

---------- Post added at 01:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

it seems you might just have enough of the broken nut there too weld another nut onto it, but before you weld it or let anyone weld it protect the surronding rim with some kinda tape or something to keep the heat away from the rim

princess auto has a whole selection of 12 point deep sockets

i used a spark plug socket on my macgaurd and it came off

yup wheels direct FTW!