Broken off lug nut

I was putting on my rims for the summer and then i came across this…

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/Paulysplitx/DSCF1028.jpg

Tightening down the lug nuts and one broke off. I have had these things for over 3 years so i guess it was bound to happen. Any ideas how to get this thing off? Or any shops that take care of this problem without charging a shit load? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Wow… that sucks. Enough left to hammer a slightly too small socket on there? Since you broke it tightening it there shouldn’t be too much of an issue getting it to spin off if you can get any kind of grip on it. Not like it was seized on there there and you broke it trying to remove it.

Or if you know someone that has a set of these, that might be able to grip it:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00952161000&cat=Hand+Tools,+General+Purpose&subcat=Bolt-Out,+Taps+%26+Dies&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1

hmmm… the lug AND the stud snapped off? eek… Your going to want to get a new stud, and replace all 20 lugs… You should be able to get this off with some locking plyers or somthing…

I’d stick a drill bit in between the stud and nut, keep working it until the nut was “cut” and a slot was created. Then stick a flat head screw driver in there and get it off.

[quote=“paulysplitx”"]

Tightening down the lug nuts and one broke off. I have had these things for over 3 years so i guess it was bound to happen.

[/quote]

What torque where you torquing them to? Why was it bound to happen?

[quote=“02AccordCoupe,post:3,topic:28485"”]

replace all 20 lugs…

[/quote]

ummmmm…

why?

[quote=“fairgentleman Z,post:4,topic:28485"”]

I’d stick a drill bit in between the stud and nut, keep working it until the nut was “cut” and a slot was created. Then stick a flat head screw driver in there and get it off.

What torque where you torquing them to? Why was it bound to happen?

ummmmm…

why?

[/quote]

Just doing it by hand with a tire iron. Your idea may be the one i go with.

[quote=“JayS,post:2,topic:28485"”]

Wow… that sucks. Enough left to hammer a slightly too small socket on there? Since you broke it tightening it there shouldn’t be too much of an issue getting it to spin off if you can get any kind of grip on it. Not like it was seized on there there and you broke it trying to remove it.

Or if you know someone that has a set of these, that might be able to grip it:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&pid=00952161000&cat=Hand+Tools,+General+Purpose&subcat=Bolt-Out,+Taps+%26+Dies&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1

[/quote]

that is an idea ill have to give it a whirl. They are on there good so we will see…

Be very careful if you try to drill it, because it doesn’t look like you have a whole lot of lug nut there. Once you’re through the lug nut you’re drilling rim and that would be bad.

I’ve never seen a lug nut break like that before. I’m a bit suprised how little metal there was.

Yea im pretty pissed about it. I paid a good chunk of cash for them too and they never even got to see an impact wrench so they were never truly cranked on to the point to make them snap. But also my luck it found a screw in that tire after the lug nut broke off…

in most cases, using a tire iron can tighten them more then an impact wrench. i think ur over tightening ur lug nuts man

[quote=“02AccordCoupe,post:3,topic:28485"”]

hmmm… the lug AND the stud snapped off? eek… Your going to want to get a new stud, and replace all 20 lugs… You should be able to get this off with some locking plyers or somthing…

[/quote]

i don’t think the stud broke.

I’ve got a bomb micro-die grinder at the shop that would do the trick, probably pretty clean too…bah…this is too borderline advertising (which we will soon be paying for)…but I’m seriously trying to help this guy out.

(delete if you or any other advertiser finds this post to be advertising)

If one broke, id say the other ones might be due to break too, i have no clue how old they are or w/e but id replace them if one of mine broke…

[quote=“newman,post:10,topic:28485"”]

i don’t think the stud broke.

[/quote]

I dont see a stud there, it dosent look like the thing broke looking at the edge of the stud, but i cant see any visible stud, is it just a odd setup or something? If you take the lugs off my car, you see the stud, i dont see a stud so i assumed…

spray the shit out of it with liquid wrench let it sit 5-10 mins and then hammer on a socket that will fit it, should break it loose really easy

[quote=“02AccordCoupe,post:12,topic:28485"”]

On the sidenote, i just noticed paul @ swerve scratched one of my rims putting on the lugs :frowning: Its not a huge deal, but i just hope it dosent make the rest of the paint start chipping or something… Im only pissed beacouse im dam sure he knew it was there and didnt say anything >:(

[/quote]

Ack, that’s no good…can you send me a pic of the damage or swing by some day?

[quote=“99_civic_si,post:15,topic:28485"”]

Ack, that’s no good…can you send me a pic of the damage or swing by some day?

[/quote]

Are you paul?

I could snap a shot, i didnt touch it yet beacouse im scared of what i might find :frowning: It might be alright, but… I dont know… Its all white scratchey and scrapey like, not a chunk missing or anything, just i know its there…

this happened to me weld a nut on to the end for the win

[quote=“strokingnova,post:17,topic:28485"”]

this happened to me weld a nut on to the end for the win

[/quote]

damnit asshole you beat me to it. i was gonna be all smart and post it but you did

Welding on something wont happen due to my lack of skills, unless someone is looking to make a couple bucks… ill be giving a few different things today and hopefully something works out. And new lugs are going to be a must after this is all said and done with.

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/images/small/54125_sm.jpg

http://www.irwin.com/irwin/consumer/jhtml/detail.jhtml?prodId=IrwinProd100516