Lug nuts coming loose?

So, I have some el cheapo lug nuts from advanced auto. I torque them down, but after a few weeks, they will come loose on their own. Since I am usually racing every week or so, it’s never really been too much of a problem. But since we haven’t had an event in a couple weeks, they came loose again. WTF? Is it the cheapo nuts? I’ve tried 80, 85, and 90 ft-lbs. Anyone else with this sort of problem?

Is it the correct seat type? ball style vs. tuner style or whatever it is?
Just a thought… figured I’d start simple.

Yeah, I double checked that. They are the right style.

Its common on aluminum wheels. Not sure what kinda of wheels you are running.

02 si wheels (aluminum)

And they say Honda’s don’t have enough torque to loosen a lug nut.

You sure you didn’t get some grease or oil on the seats?

Also, is it all 4 wheels, or just the front/back? Is it possible you have a brake rotor/drum not seating properly and preventing the lug nuts from ever being torqued properly?

it’s not always the same wheel, but it’s more often the front wheels. No grease on the seats, but there is a little but of paint overspray in there. Maybe that has a bit to do with it.

no, lugs shouldnt be coming loose, especially that quickly/easily. try a diff style, consult the dealer to be sure…

I had this problem on one wheel. The cause was a burr from the marred interface. I took care of it, very carefully, with a dremel and the problem hasn’t returned since.

I torque to 95 lbs (open style lugnuts from Mike), they haven’t come loose yet…

That seems a little high and may cause damage to your studs over time.

I know of a guy the torques to 60 ft-lbs with just a little dab of lock tight.

Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind next time, maybe torque to 85.

Your studs might need replacing. I had it happen on my bonnie a while back. You could also put a lock washer on them

pssssh you guys actually torque them to spec? just use an impact til it stops turning.

but seriously, i use an impact or a breaker bar, and just have gotten a feel of how tight to make them. Next time the wheels are off, check the studs for stripping. That should not be happening.

Yeah 60 - 70 I think is what Subaru specifies should be used.

red loctite

(j/k, but would solve the problem)

I am trying to stay away from loctite, but will use it if I need to (but not red)

in all honesty it could be the lug nuts themselves. there are 5 (if im remembering my machinary classes correctly) different classes of fit. if those cheap lug nuts have a poor tap cut and have a looser fit that could be your problem. if that’s the case there’s really not much you can do to solve the problem. better lug nuts with tighter thread tolerances might be the solution. also if the lugs themselves are getting chewed up, mixed with poor nuts that spells a high amount of tolerance in the thread engagement and it wouldnt be very hard for one to work loose.