lug nuts keep comming loose

for some reason my lug nuts keep comming loose after 2 weeks or so. they are skinny tuner nuts that can only fit on my rims. even if i over tighten them they for some reason still get loose. i’m guessing its the nuts but i can’t find next nuts that will fit on my rims. should i try and put on some lock tite thingy?

which wheel? rear drivers side? I had a similar problem on that wheel, I chalked it up to ABS chatter?

now I have no ABS and no problem.

all 4 wheels for some reason but not all at the same time rears get looser faster tho . i dont even know if i have abs on my car :? . you think an alignment can also cause this cause i changed my shocks without getting an alignment yet

I suspect the taper on your tuner lugs doesn’t match the taper on the wheels.
Therefore the lugs aren’t getting a good grip on the wheels and regular vibrations are shaking them off.
solution: new lugs to match the wheels or new wheels to match the lugs…

make sure you don’t use the red loc-tite… you’ll need heat to crack em off.

:thumright:

over tightened to begin with and now the threads are streached out making them useless… use blue locktite , that should help then stay snug and still be able to turn off when needed. however it’s not a permanent fix… you’ll need to replace the studs , if that many are bad then chances are the rest are close…

Replace your studs. Better safe then sorry.

i did replace my studs on the rears before i put the rims on it. can a bad alignment cause this also cuz i change my shocks and springs and havent dont an alignment yet

unless your one wheel is vibrating at a specifc harmonic level to turn the bolts loose ( in which case you’d notice and your cd player would not work due to skipping) then alingment has nothing to do with it… it’s the thread on thread contact. If the lugs were intially hard to get on then you may have cross threaded and that will leave the wheel loose, if the lugs are shite quality then they will not fit right, if your studs are poor quality then they won’t fit right… most of the time if you apply more then 90ft/lbs to a stud then you are pulling the threads apart. 90ft/lbs in the upper limit for more steel on steel fitings and 83ft/lbs should be used with alloy on steel. check the threads on both lug and stuf with a good quality nut and bolt see if it’s loose on either side… there’s your problem… ( this is provided you have a torque wrench and you have tightend to 80-90ft/lbs and weren’t just guessing at it)

studs came from nissan, nuts came from jdm-p they thread perfectly when i tried and i used an impact gun to tighten them and i did not cross thread them. once i get my alignment and new tires put on i hope it solves the problem :slight_smile:

how much tourque was your impact gun set at?

my guess is too much!
get yourself a good quality tourque wrench and use that from now on :wink:

i prefer to use my impact gun only to loosen.