M3 vs Mustang

This actually came from another forum after a discussion about this article

Where is kent?

Still rather fork up the cash to buy the M3. Fords can suck bigfoots dick IMO.

nothing new here.

there is a lot between the lines that makes the M3 a better car, but obviously the mustang is a much better value if you want to be a nerd about specs.

I’d love to own either for my daily, neither for my sports car.

I would rather have the M3…

I just assumed the M3 would out perform the GT on paper.

Would I spend the money on a new M3? No, probably not. But there are a lot more things than just performance specs that make it that much more expensive than a Mustang. i.e. features, materials, overall build quality, etc. It’s like saying my iPhone shouldn’t be more expensive than an old RAZR flip phone because they both make calls. (obviously a bit of an exaggeration here)

I think in recent years companies like Ford and GM have started to close the gap a bit in terms of quality, but I wonder what would happen if you beat the piss out of both of those cars for 100k miles to see which one will put up with it and come out better on the other side. (I mean every aspect, not just engine wise)

you get what you pay for.

Well put. :tup:

Also 2nd owned is where its at IMO. Let someone else take the initial $$$ hit.

I guess I was expecting better performance from BMWs flag ship…

I would expect the mustang to have better 1/4mile but the braking and lat accel surprised me the M3 is supposed to be a road car for the track

Obviously the BMW is a better car its also 20k more. Older generations of the M3 were destroying any comparable domestic in performance.

The other comparison I can make is the M3 is starting to get soft like the STi when the STi came out it was all performance no radio etc…Now its just another option.

i think what it comes down to is … how much power is too much power? maybe BMW felt that more than 400 would make it impractical or that street tires could not hold more than 400 ?? honestly they are both at a performance level that is hard to beat

it comes down to the finer details which IMO the mustang is getting better at, but still isnt “there”

I would also say comparing the M3 the top 3 series model to the GT which is mid level is meh.

Wonder how its performance compares to the Cobra/GT500

Again I would rather have the BMW I just think the M3 badge is getting soft.

The lack of improvement of the M3 in recent years can be an entirely different topic of discussion, and I agree with you there. Especially with the 335i being right on it’s ass with basic mods. I’m really hoping the next iteration of the M3 makes some serious strides, but in reality where do you draw the line for a production vehicle? They can’t just keep getting faster and faster. There has to be a balance between performance, cost, comfort, and safety.

i think what it comes down to is … how much power is too much power? maybe BMW felt that more than 400 would make it impractical or that street tires could not hold more than 400 ?? honestly they are both at a performance level that is hard to beat

it comes down to the finer details which IMO the mustang is getting better at, but still isnt “there”

This is America…

lol.

German automaker, though.

It’s for guys who want to be associated with racetracks but don’t actually go to the track themselves. It’s for the modern poser racer.

That statement doesn’t describe anyone here… lol.

This is an article from 21 months ago:

Which explains why the Ford is the better value and why the M3 is better in subjective feel.

For $60k I’d be happy with a Mustang V6 or a 328 and blowing the rest of the money on tires, brakes and track days.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1010_2011_2011_ford_mustang_gt_vs_2011_bmw_m3_comparison/viewall.html

Do the same thing with the Boss 302 Laguna Seca

I have to agree that the M model is getting soft. It is great to have a killer street option but IMO there should be nothing higher than a M model in their lineup. I have always preferred a raw feel in a car going around a road course. put less shit in it make it lighter and more powerful. Then maybe it will be able to keep up with the mustang that is designed to race road course.

BOSS 302 VS M3. The M3 would not do so well and that is their king shit race car.

edit: ^ FUCK

It’s been done, but without the neat little graph:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/lightning-lap-2012-feature-sortable-times-complete-lightning-lap-times-2006-to-2012-page-8

3:02.8 FORD MUSTANG BOSS 302 LAGUNA SECA LL2 2/12
3:05.4 BMW M3 COUPE LL2 2/10
3:05.6 BMW M3 COUPE LL2 11/08
3:08.6 FORD MUSTANG GT 5.0 LL2 2/11
3:10.5 BMW 335i COUPE LL2 8/07
3:12.5 FORD MUSTANG V-6* LL1 2/11
3:13.8 BMW 335is LL2 2/12

All the GT500s on the historic list are the “old” one, not the 199.99 mph “new” one.

• equipped with a 114-mph governor, which the car banged into for more than 15 seconds per lap

I’d rather just buy a 335i over the M3.

Yeah I mentioned this the other day in that other thread…

https://youtu.be/uOwSPccbzl4

Dollar for dollar is not even close but…