Making a JDM car street legal

What kind of work do you need to get done to make a JDM car (ie. s13) street legal? Do i need to buy a USDM s13 and swapped VIN?

swapping vin’s is a felony, so i dont recommend it. Thats all i can contribute lol

lol no it’s not go ahead do it and cross the border…let us know how it works out hah

call the dmv/search for threads about this, theres been a few

Hah, got mine registered. Not that hard, you just need to do some research.

have it shipped to canada…file all paper work in canada then brign it over here

^
no can do. if the car is not originally from canada thats not legal. if it was, i would be driving a skyline r32 already

you have said a bunch of times that you registered your car, but have never posted what flaming hoops you had to jump through. i would really like to know how you went about it.

anywho, im pretty sure that car is on the list of importable cars.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ELIG010906.html
do a search for the documents on that site, the numbers should be next to the cars name.

generally its headlights, speedo, sideview mirrors, door brakes, dash brace, and parking brake light that need to be changed by a registered importer.
this is to do it legally

i kiow me too…:(…i wish the US had that law if its 15yrs or older u can import them…but y bother with an s13…prolly cheaper to do an d SR20 and all the body conversion than it is to import it

ONLY LEGAL way to swap vins would be take the silvia, cut it across the roof and ahead of the firewall, and swap in the USDM firewall / windsheild / vin and register the car. nothing wrong with rebuilding a “wrecked” usdm vehical cough

cant forget:

paperwork from the mnufacturer that the chassis is the same as USDM, for crash safety purposes,

the engine has to meet federal smog laws,

all interior materials have to have the proper fire safetly spec

all electronics have to meet govt safety standards

glass has to meet spec

car has to sit @ the DOT for a long ass time while they take their time to approve the car

theres a reason that u have to be a registered importer to properly import a car …

anything on the list already has the manufactureres apporval, so theres no need to get the letter or deal with interior materials.

the one thing i did forget is the valve thingy for the fuel… incase you roll the car. that will also need to be added.

so if i found an August production of an 89 R32 i can import it once its 25 yrs old…or does it have to goto thru a registered importer…i am trying to make sense of all the stuf in that link

you shouldnt need an RI for a car older then 25 years

OK…i figured cause i read this one 1st
a) All passenger cars less than 25 years old that were manufactured before September 1, 1989;

Yeah, I call the BS flag on it. If JDMSIR really knew, he’d be bragging about it with details, Like blah blah blah I know better, but as usual we have to listen to more Bull shit from him. Where is that Ignore button Again?

X…

but again I ask y bother with an S13…wouldnt it be easier and cheaper to do a USM 240 with all the appropriate body panels and SR20

he has done it. i think it would be nice if he shared the details. it might save someone else some headaches in the future.

Fuck that, i have answered so many fucking questions over the last four years about that stupid ass car. Want a tip, call albany DMV, schedule a day so you can take your car over on odgen st., tell them you are applying for a VIN number, they check your car and make sure nothing is stolen, then they place a vin number sticker in your door, go to the DMV and put the car on the road. It took me a half hour to get a vin, register, and drive my car LEGALLY on the streets. It took less than 5 mins. in west seneca to get pulled over. The stupid ass cop went to the wrong side of the car, i just laughed.

So there!

i kno some1 who tired getting a car imported (not from Japan though) and it wasnt worth it because of all of the stuff that would have to be changed.

was that so hard?

now the next time you have an automotive related question, i will take the time to answer you.

dont be a prick

Im not being a prick, I have had so many E-mails over the last 3.5 years its crazy. Its not hard, im just sick of people asking" How can I get a JDM car registerd" Its called GOOGLE, thats how i did it. As far as that goes, i explained it just the way i did it. So it can be done. I almost bought a Skyline before i got the del sol, but i backed out at the end. I could of had the skyline on the road instead. Still kicking myself in the ass for that one.

if you didn’t want questions you shouldn’t have bought a RHD car…

Now, did the DMV require any special paperwork?