making own turbo kit????

ok, i know the flames and i told you so are gonna come out of the woodwork, but i really considering going turbo for my car. since i am getting married, and i will have an extra vehicle. i seen a few turbo kits, and the cheapest one was a treadstone@$3995. there also was a turbonetics@$4995. i know im not close to being an engine guru, but does it really cost this for a turbo kit?? i mean, couldn’t i piece one together cheaper then $4000-$5000?? im not looking for extreme hp ##'s, i only want 8psi max, which should put my car around 230whp. btw, i only want 8psi max because thats all my engine can handle, dd will be 5-6 psi…

Domination, 1st-try or Hybridynamics could fabricate a kit for you. IMO that is a much better way to go then just going out and buying someones kit. Just make sure you have the engine/fuel management piece worked out and then you are good to go!

it is not a problem to build it
biggest thing i would worry about is engine management

I agree. I know you’ve heard this before, but you might want to consider selling it, and buying a car that was a turbo from the factory.

Props to 1st-Try for turbo fabrication. Just be sure to have your engine management down well.

That should be a fairly simple car to mock up. As far as fuel goes, if you are on a relatively small turbo, there’s a possibility that Jim Wolf can provide an ecu or you could even just use an apexi safc.

been there and i trusted someone to fab it for me.

Or a honda!

what motor is in your car?
i know the old sentras were badass theres a guy in cincy who has sr20 non turbo, hot air intake, crush bent exhaust and gutted interior and ran 14s

I think he’s in Philly though

i have the qr25. and i have’nt found 1 aftermarket ecu, i checked stillen, jwt, gpec. all there is a reflash for $500 from technosquare. ill buy a neo instead. what is a ballpark idea of what im getting into???

The sky is the limit hoss.

I’ll let one of the shops throw out an idea for the fabrication parts. Where you’ll really start to bury yourself with costs won’t be the manifold, intake, exhaust setup, it will be the injectors, fuel pump, pressure regulator, possible clutch upgrade etc. There’s no telling where to stop. You might want to lower your compression to run more boost. Engine management and data acquisition will probably be the most costly and time consuming. To properly adjust, adequately control, boost, timing and fuel can be expensive. You’ll have to decide how extensive of a kit you want to build. Then tuning that monster can be a job too. You’ll probably want a wideband O2, I don’t see how else you could do it. I’m not sure if your car comes stock with a knock sensor, but they can be handy sometimes, but depending on the car, getting the info from it is another story.

Anyway, I don’t mean to drag on, but turbo-ing a non-turbo car will present you with a lot of decisions. I have had a few friends that did it, and decided it wasn’t for me. I’m on my 2nd factory turbo vehicle.

Good luck.

i’m not into the neo, safcII works fine.

I’ll trade you for my 94 cx turbo with and ls swap will go 11.50 on 11psi

i appreciate all the good info. thank all of you. i understand about the engine management system, both turbo kits come with a safc-2, so ill get one off ebay. my first real question is this, i know everyone says it is easier to work on a factory turbo car, and i understand that. but, if they make a kit for my car, is it really that hard to make a kit myself??? what would be the difference??

isnt the neo a safc2 combined with a vafc? Im wondering because i was thinking of snatching one up but i dont need a vtec controller .

Domination builds sick ass turbo kits.

i did some more research on the kits available for my car, and the treadstone comes with a neo, and has a group buy on the sentra forum for $3500. is this a good deal or not?? what are some prices people paid for turbos on their cars???

the person w the neo vs s-afc 2 q, you are right…it’s pretty much just combining the two w/ a flashly led display, check apexi’s website to make sure nothing else is dif, but i believe i looked into it before and it was just $100 more for v-tec control n the flashly display.

the se-r guy,
build your own kit is my advice, but sometimes it’s real hard to get certain things.
i’d be researching on the sentra forums instead of here. Lots of us own older cars that have been around long enough for mechanics and engineer owners to fabricate their own stuff and sell it for cheeaaappp.