Martial Arts?

I was just browsing summit’s website, and it looked really interesting. Mind if I ask what the fees are?

[quote=“BikerFry,post:21,topic:32420"”]

I was just browsing summit’s website, and it looked really interesting. Mind if I ask what the fees are?

[/quote]

my boxing there is $70 a month… muay thai camps are like 6 hour sundays, those prices vary, if ur enrolled in boxing, u get a discount

kung fu mgiht be similar, but they offer trial periods, so u can try it out for 2 or 3 weeks and then if u like it u can sign up, if not then u dont, if you call them, they are VERY helpful and will answer any question, thats ur best bet for step 1

frost12580 has been taking martial arts. 2 kinds I believe, for the same exact reason. pm him

[quote=“MicaH,post:22,topic:32420"”]

my boxing there is $70 a month… muay thai camps are like 6 hour sundays, those prices vary, if ur enrolled in boxing, u get a discount

kung fu mgiht be similar, but they offer trial periods, so u can try it out for 2 or 3 weeks and then if u like it u can sign up, if not then u dont, if you call them, they are VERY helpful and will answer any question, thats ur best bet for step 1

[/quote]

Cool. Thank you.

[quote=“Daddie,post:13,topic:32420"”]

I’m interest in try out some muay thai, because while i like krav maga, I meet a lot of people who say krav maga is good, but is absolutely nasty when you mix it up with some other form or martial arts…

[/quote]

Right now I’m training with a mixed Krav Maga/ Muay Thai curriculum. I think it is a pretty well rounded set. I’m also enrolled in a Haganah course which is a bit more intense than Krav. PM me and I can set you up with a couple free classes and you can see if it’s something you would like to get into.

^ That goes for anyone who’s interested. BTW

More info on Krav: Krav Maga - Wikipedia
Basically, it’s a no rules hurt, maim, kill your attacker fighting style. It’s NOT a sport and there are no competitions unlike some Martial Arts.

I’m in nyc…

[quote=“Avatar,post:25,topic:32420"”]

Right now I’m training with a mixed Krav Maga/ Muay Thai curriculum.

[/quote]

Where?

[quote=“BikerFry,post:27,topic:32420"”]

Where?

[/quote]

The Training Edge

That looks really cool, like just what I’ve got in mind. Practical self defense + fitness.

Mind if I ask what kind of range the fees are in?

i dont know how i missed this thread :bloated:

Anyways, I used to train at www.wnymma.com for a couple months till their BJJ instructor left to start up his own business. I followed him and trained for awhile longer but then had to quit when night classes kicked in. It was about 110/mos for 3/4 nights of training. WNYMMA is still good, but not accredited in anything ( if that matters to you )

Anyways if you want to learn sport fighting, karate or any of those TMA ( traditional martial arts ) are probably a good start… discipline etc.

If you want to learn how to defend yourself, pick up judo or jujitsu… boxing is of course good also… MT is the best striking around, but the training alternatives in WNY are so so so limited.

In regards to cheap… sneak into UB and train for free

Do not go to the training edge… major rip off

and i know howie will disagree, but krav maga is just all hair pulling and ball punching. haha.

edit: if you want to get into shape- cheap- then just join a local wrestling club.

well i took tkd for 12 years and it helped alot with staying fit, but if your looking for self defense id advise taking either muay thai or some sort of MMA, i know there is a mma school of seneca but im not sure where

[quote=“540guy,post:31,topic:32420"”]

well i took tkd for 12 years and it helped alot with staying fit, but if your looking for self defense id advise taking either muay thai or some sort of MMA, i know there is a mma school of seneca but im not sure where

[/quote]

the only ones i know of are out in lockport, and one down in ellicotville… there are a bunch in rochester and out in ontario also

[quote=“sureshot!,post:30,topic:32420"”]

In regards to cheap… sneak into UB and train for free

[/quote]

What’s taught at UB? As of this fall I’ll be a student again for around the next 4 years (PMBA). Or did you mean just sneak into the weight room?

Sounds like Muay Thai would be awesome, but I should really pick up something akin to Krav Maga for self defense? Or if I just learn some kick boxing/muay thai would that be enough to not get hurt in a fight with the average lowlife?

There’s Judo :slight_smile:

[quote=“BikerFry,post:33,topic:32420"”]

What’s taught at UB? As of this fall I’ll be a student again for around the next 4 years (PMBA). Or did you mean just sneak into the weight room?

[/quote]

UB has Judo, wrestling, boxing and grappling… and some other mixed TMAs

You’ll have a MUCH easier time finding a TKD school in wny… afaik the only MT is what micah participates in. With that said, TKD in america is pretty much just sport fighting, whereas MT is the real deal.

You also have to remember most fights start with a cheap shot, and not much is going to help you if you get knocked out or groggy.

Judo is the shit, and the basis of all grappling like jujitsu/sambo etc. Do you or did you train at Kin-Tora?

Jeeze, never knew there were so many different forms of what most people would just call “karate.”

Lets say that, hypothetically, my wife has made friends with a couple of awesome girls. Unfortunately these hypothetically awesome girls hypothetically have roid raging lunatic boyfriends, control freaks, textbook anger problems, etc. So hypothetically what started me down this whole thought was wanting to be able to handle shit should said hypothetical douche bags pull anything.

Then of course I started thinking about how cool it would be to do something more interesting than running and lifting for fitness.

So, with that hypothetically being thrown out there: a mix of something like Krav Maga or Jujitsu or aikido and Muai Tai kickboxing? Just kick boxing? Run home and get my guns from my parents’ house?

if they are roided out and you arent, you better start shooting. lol.

or choking them out.

edit: i have no intention of swinging with someone twice as strong as me and all fucked up in the head off drugs, you know what i’m saying? no matter how much “training” i have

o snap i am on the summit kung fu website in some pix

/hijack

[quote=“sureshot!,post:37,topic:32420"”]

if they are roided out and you arent, you better start shooting. lol.

or choking them out.

edit: i have no intention of swinging with someone twice as strong as me and all fucked up in the head off drugs, you know what i’m saying? no matter how much “training” i have

[/quote]

Hm. That makes a lot of sense. Well I’ve never yet found myself in a situation that my brain couldn’t get me out of, so maybe I’ll just go with that and look into kickboxing/muay tai for exercise at Micah’s place. I’ll check into the Judo stuff at UB too. I’ll just keep a tire iron handy for those special occassions. :rubicant:

Thanks for answering all of my questions everyone! I didn’t know there were so many fighters on NYSpeed. NYSpeed fight club?

Micah, which pic?

I started taking Hung Gar Kung Fu a few months ago. It’s a Shaolin system which uses the movements of animals for self defense.

Great exercise, though if you are looking for grappling, look elsewhere. It’s almost entirely a striking system.

It’s not one of the “popular” arts right now, mainly because very few people use it in a cages, but it’s a very agressive fighting style. You spend very little time not on the offensive, which definately keeps the average person on the defensive.

I’m a complete n00b, but I’m already confident that I could defend myself with it if I had to…at least against an average person. Then again, guys who train in martial arts typically aren’t out picking fights, so in theory if I ever need to use it, it would just be againt some drunken idiot.