Martial Arts?

[quote=“BikerFry,post:39,topic:32420"”]

Hm. That makes a lot of sense. Well I’ve never yet found myself in a situation that my brain couldn’t get me out of, so maybe I’ll just go with that and look into kickboxing/muay tai for exercise at Micah’s place. I’ll check into the Judo stuff at UB too. I’ll just keep a tire iron handy for those special occassions. :rubicant:

Thanks for answering all of my questions everyone! I didn’t know there were so many fighters on NYSpeed. NYSpeed fight club?

Micah, which pic?

[/quote]

in one of the muay thai pix, im in the beackground with red shorts, black shirt holding thai pads wrapped on my arms… i cant see the site right now thoguh cuz im at work

i am going to set up a bag in my backyard so i can train at home as well, i have 2 sets of gloves and i wanna get more stuff

i learned a flying elbow that the teacher said “ok this may cause irreversible damage to your opponenet” and i thought to myself… “yessssss”

Obviously I’m going to disagree that Krav maga is ball shots and hair pulling.

But think of it this way - you’re defending yourself - at some random bar, someone puts you in a headlock, guess what - I don’t care who the hell you are I’m going to beat your ass anyway I can. i punch you in the balls which shocks you and then elbow you and knee you till your face is red with blood, I saved myself a broken neck.

How long have you studied it? If you haven’t - don’t talk shit about it…

If you want to look at shit like that, xambo is nothing more than 2 guys figuring out how to huge each other differently.

[quote=“sureshot!,post:30,topic:32420"”]

Do not go to the training edge… major rip off

and i know howie will disagree, but krav maga is just all hair pulling and ball punching. haha.

[/quote]

Training Edge is not cheap, but I don’t think it is a rip off. I would also contend that Krav is a very effective method of self-defense.

Like I said PM me and I can help you set up a couple sessions. Try it out and make up your own mind.

i’d love to train at summit, but the classes start too fucking early :smash2:

[quote=“Daddie,post:42,topic:32420"”]

snip…

[/quote]

haha i only said that out of jest, based on our AIM conversation the other night… I didn’t think you’d take it seriously.

[quote=“sureshot!,post:44,topic:32420"”]

[/quote]

yea tru @ 530, and on those days i have to get out of work an hour early each day

[quote=“sureshot!,post:44,topic:32420"”]

haha i only said that out of jest, based on our AIM conversation the other night… I didn’t think you’d take it seriously.

[/quote]

Oh, i totally forgot about that shit lol

[quote=“sureshot!,post:35,topic:32420"”]

UB has Judo, wrestling, boxing and grappling… and some other mixed TMAs

[/quote]

You’re talking about the intramural club right? UB doesn’t have martial arts classes right?

[quote=“MicaH,post:45,topic:32420"”]

yea tru @ 530, and on those days i have to get out of work an hour early each day

[/quote]

Oh it’s 5:30? I thought it was 4:30. Do you have to be taped up and on the mats @ 5:30 ready for conditioning? MWF right? I might be able to get down there on time if that’s the case

[quote=“sureshot!,post:48,topic:32420"”]

Oh it’s 5:30? I thought it was 4:30. Do you have to be taped up and on the mats @ 5:30 ready for conditioning? MWF right? I might be able to get down there on time if that’s the case

[/quote]

T THU 530 for iron fist boxing… its on concrete, no mats, no ring

[quote=“BikerFry,post:47,topic:32420"”]

You’re talking about the intramural club right? UB doesn’t have martial arts classes right?

[/quote]

Yep, the clubs… but don’t think they are a cake walk, the clubs are serious. The boxing club has created some tournament winning compeition. The grappling club meets twice a week for two hours each time… Zong has attended it but I have yet to take my BJJ there. etc etc etc… all clubs, all free. :slight_smile:

[quote=“MicaH,post:49,topic:32420"”]

r u talking about kung fu or boxing?

[/quote]

boxing

so quick grasshopper, check my edit

I’ve been doing karate on and off for nearly six years. I did tkd for a few years at UB. It was a good time, not good for self defense, but good exercise. You really need a good mix. TKD sometimes wasn’t so fun because they are so anal about form and formality, but that made me a good kicker. Such that when I went back to my karate school I kind of got a reputation as a kicker which is good since most of the people there aren’t. Then I hurt my knee in Feb and just got back into training so I don’t know how skillful I’ll be again with the tkd stuff.

I like my current school. They used to call it a ‘karate’ school, although its really gotten pretty mixed. We pretty much hit a little of everything from some Israeli military stuff to MT to TKD, some Kenpo, some BJJ. Find a place with variety and it will keep it interesting. Mixed disciplines makes for the best self defense IMO and you’ll have less chance of getting bored. Some tradition schools be it tkd, kung fu, or whatever may not be your thing if you aren’t into the strictness of tradition. Personally I’m not really into it.

I’m not in Buffalo anymore so I can’t help you with an mixed style schools.

turn on the history channel right nowwwwwww

its on again…

If only I had cable… :stuck_out_tongue:

Watching it right now. Really neat program.

I do Muai Thai (Thai Rules)