Mashed rear quarter panel

dad and i push started the car last night got it into the garage backwards so today i could push start it on my own get it to grandmas garage(my shop) and swap starter motors…i didnt get enough speed coming down the driveway so i left it near the end of the driveway…steph moms in a rush totaly forgot my cars there and accidently reversed back and started turning hit the side of it pretty bad. the damage starts from the front of the wheel opening on the back passenger side all the way to the back of the door…the bottom of the doors bent a bit inwards…easy fix. as for the quarter…wow its toast. She is more than willing to pay for it but its the least of my worries car needs a paintjob anyways hood fenders and bumper are in primer.

My questons how this is repaired and what the cost is.  Im asuming they pull it out and use a lot of bondo.  Part of the insides of the doorjam are quite visable from the outside but the door opens alright.  Im thinking the easyest way is getting it sumwhat back into shape then cutting out the mashed part of the quarter and welding on a new quarterpanel peice?  a lot of stuff is being shaved or filled so no dought theres going to be a lot of bondo on this car...thats prob why its soo hard to push start.  post up what u guys kno im in no rush. as for now im just sanding the parts where paint chipped and primer them so it doesnt collect salt and water and rust.  On the bright side im getting a paintjob :lol:  :lol:  :lol: and its not me paying

-Devin

Devin, you know i got all the stuff you need to fix it, shit, i will even come to help you do it, just let me know.

Jason

I think we all need some pics to further this discussion, you know, so we have a good feel for what exactly is wrong…

simple…
cut and weld. and oh yeah BONDO!!
new paint all around with w.e other bodywork you need…
im going to say 3g’s

Well, the whole goal is to use as little Bondo as possible.

Depending on how much you spend and where you go, they’ll do a few different things.

If you go to MAACO for their (and I love this word) Cosmolision service or that “We paint any car for $200.” Fairdeal place, you’ll get, and I wish I was joking;

crumpled up newspaper to fill the big hole, a big heaping trowel full of Bondo, a near match paint without any masking (on your wheels, over the trim, etc.)

If you go to a reputable place you’ll pay a lot more, but they’ll drill a couple small holes into the quarter panel, put anchors in and pull as much of the dent out as possible. Then they’ll use hammers and dollies to pound it back into shape. Then they use a thin skim of filler to even everything out.

Sometimes instead of anchors they just weld to the dent, then pull.

You could probably get the whole thing done properly for $3Gs.

If it is bad anuff, the shop will just cut the old one out, and put a new pease, because it is the fastes way of doing it.

no pics till xmas break but just an idea of how bad…its pushed in about 5cm and the doorjam is showing…i can stick a finger between the door and quarterpanel. i figure cut and weld is the best way…its not me paying for it anyways…1st accident “Not At Fault”…its great lol

Rather than getting shit pulled and fixed, wouldn’t it make more sense to grab a parts car 240 and replace the parts with un-smashed ones? 240s go for about a G if you don’t care about the frame. Should be able to find one with a good body for that price.

id like to see you get the rear fender off.

:dunno: Is it not removable? Or is it just annoyingly difficult?

The rear quarters are not removeable like the fenders are. They are a part of the body. I cut out rear quarters from a coupe and trust me its alot of work. If you do it this way then make sure you take your car to shop that knows how do do body work because this is quite a big job on our cars.

^^^

Pretty much a big job on any car. Cutting out a quarter panel takes a lot longer than just pulling and filling.

After you cut it out, you have to make sure to line up the new piece (usually you cut it along a seam) tack it into place, then butt weld it. The problem is when welding a big piece of steel with curvature it’s very easy to warp the panel. Even if you don’t warp the panel you still need to bondo over the weld and blend it all in.

no matter what bondo will have to be used thats a given and theres nothing wrong with that, its almost impossible to do body work without it. Also, some warping will occur when welding the new panel because of the extreme heat from the welding.

anyways, good luck with the repair and let us know how it turned out.

yup. for a new rear quarter i was quated about 800 for the fender, plus 15 hours of labour to replace :? it came out to almost 3g’s without paint. best bet is to cut and weld in patches. just make sure you tack it on instead of welding. this will require you to go around the patch several times and is a pain in the ass, but will save u the hassle of warpage.

lol Gawwd…i payed 2g for the car…doing the work myself is an option but my parents are offering to pay for it. Maybe ill get them to give me sum cash to get the quart off a parts car(prefferably Spike as long as the passenger side is mint…i belive drivers has huge dent) then ill weld it up and bondo. Prep the car and they can pay to get the whole car painted :lol:. By then ill have skirts and a rear lip for paint too. I think thats the best way and it wont runn me 3g for simply repairing the quart…not even including paint. id rather have another car and live with the dent…it doesnt slow the car down so…the cars anything but pretty…sounds like a boat in the cold when i start it. Ill talk it over with them post up what you guys would do in this situation? Id be interested if u can come up with a better idea.
-Devin

what a shame…

tear out the seats, the interior rear trim, pop it out by hand, layfibreglasss/bondo inside for structure,

then add wdebody over over fenders @ $250-400 USD, instead of bondo/body work…

Thanks S13GG…i always knew this was out there but didnt think about it for my situation.id preffere if someone had these peices in their hands…i dont like all that shipping and waiting etc etc. Ill look into it more. i wonder how bad its going to look until i can afford wheels to fill the gaps :shock:

What a great idea!

:king:

I’m full of them, and BS, cynisism, etc…

I’m full of them, and BS, cynisism, etc…[/quote]

foam works too…i had a similar dint, popped it out and some jackass leans on my car with his foot. POP back in.