Max boost on a S13 ECU?

I wasn’t trying to say the KA can’t handle it. and I wasn’t trying to say the KA sucks, and I wasn’t trying to say the SR is the best. Sorry if my first post came across that way. what I was trying to get accross is what the engines are designed for.
The SR was designed for boost. and deigned to handle 50%+ HP over stock.
the KA wasn’t designed for boost, and wasn’t designed to handle 50%+ HP over stock. not saying it can’t do it, but it wasn’t the intent of nissan when designing it.
It only costs about $1,000 to make an SR put out 250hp. how much would it cost to do the same on a KA?? seems like you need ecu and tuning, manifold, turbo, exhuast, fuel pump, injectors, regulator, intake, clutch…just to name a few parts needed.
so for out of the box reliability, and ease of tuning, the SR gets my vote.
this is my opinion, not fact!! I have no doubt that if built and tuned the KA could be a very good engine with huge power potential. but most people don’t want to do that much research and tuning and building ect… that’s why I recomended the SR.

doesn’t the SR come with 205 hp stock? the KA24DE if i remember correctly only has 155 stock. that being said, if it does cost more it makes sense as the engine is being boosted for a lot more that 45 more hp :huh:

AGAIN dude suport what u say .

Look at hondas , mazdas, probes, mustangs, transams,none are factory boost , but so many of them are boosted ,
no honda was build for boost but people been boosting them forever and making over 300whp safely.And no honda guy ever goes pulling his 2.2L engine to swap in 1.5L sohc d15 and than turbo it.Trust me custom forced induction , honda’s and dsm’s are way ahead of nissan comunities.They’ve publicly shared knowledge and expiriences alot longer.
Also i hope u know what ausies have been doing to nissans overthere. They have na ka making over 200whp and their stanza or u12 as they call it are ka24e and most of guys there have been turboing it since 90’s and making over 250whp for years now.
eXEPT IN 90’S Internet wasn’s so popular for car tuners, so most of info went from person to person not publicly and didn’t get to our generation .Turbo ka’s existed well before sr swap was imported into North America, but with internet and publicity sr quickly became a prefered swap.Today what haven’t i seen sr in crx, integra’s etc. And dudes in Japan are quiet happy making $$ of some motors thats been colecting dust throughout 90’s there.
The Beauty of sr swap was that no tuning needed (standalones are 1000$ dyno time ain’t cheap neither 1500$ just to have ur ka-t runing right wasn’t worth it). For me back than tinfoil bottom wasn’t worth the $ so i always prefer ca,rb over sr but i never hated sr or ever considered it least boost happy , which generally means has less potential.
Well now with chipping ecu’s and more and more people doing turbo ka’s and contributing their fuel/ignition maps it became more affordable. Turbo ka is again untill about 2years ago was custom everything , now days u can order complete kit for a price of sr from companies and make well over 250whp realibily. So in todays market its all about choice and preference that u have.
Not that s20det is a more boost happy motor , take sr20de strap on a t3 and see how much it likes it and how boost happy it is without that sr20det pretuned ecu. Also Enthalpy must be a fool tuning and selling ka24de ecu’s , cuz thas not boost happy motor so why even fuck with it it will blow anysecond anyway and will never make 250whp/
Trust me ka is as boost happy as a motor can be if u bother to look into it deeper and tune it properly.Sr20det and ka24de use same valve train, same pentroof style of a chaimber , oil squirters , internally balanced , forged crank, don’t be looking at ka24e its quiet different from de thow.Similar yet different.
And ka factory 160hp , Jeff Tylor’s ka-t has been around for over a year making 400whp and past 2-3 month at 500whp thats well above 50% more like 300%/ go look on FA or ka-t.org By the way his setup $wise is about 1/2 of what sr motor is worth.

So please explain to me how sr is more boost happy than ka…i want to see techical talknot sr is better cuz in fast an furous 2 … etc

Actually there are factory turbo Mazdas, Probes and Trans Ams. I beleive there were also a few turbo Hondas made, but we probably never got them here if they were even mass produced.

I found that thread on Zilvia, Flavio. This is 7psi on a KA-T with ITB’s, that AMS GT32 and Haltech tuning. He’s now having some fuel problems though…

since i am bored at work here is my $$$ ka to kat transormation:
ka24e manifold 300$
460cc Injectors 150$ flowtested
rb20det turbocharger 140$
oil/feed return I went with AN fittings and steel braided lines 120$
Extra stanza ecu+consult + chipburner+ few chips socket, satering 220$(16x 16 fully adjustable maps , map trace , and any Maf /injector combo capable, can even convert to map system)
wideband or dyno time 400$
1500$ :partyman: and alsmost 1/2 the labor as sr swap.After i fucked up it costed me 1000$ to get ka machined and all new parts ordered+ assembly labor was me . So for the price 0f 2500$ i have 0kms ka24et and i’am pretty sure when i hit dyno and get it tuned it will do 220whp at 10psi its currently running.As long as it makes to the dyno ahha any places open sunday or saturday?
Now ones u swap sr in or turbo ka u still need:
3" Dp +3" exhaust system+ Magnaflow turbo muffler =350$
walbro 100$
Intercooler kit 500$
Bov 150$
Boost gage 75$
Ebc 300$
whatever u heart desires from there on.

Actually there are factory turbo Mazdas, Probes and Trans Ams. I beleive there were also a few turbo Hondas made, but we probably never got them here if they were even mass produced.[/quote]
I am generalizing here sure there is rx7 etc I am talking about factory Na that we see boosted today(like crx, civic, corolla,mada 3/6, tubiron,etc). Turbo kits are available for almost any popular engine and thats just a kit no upgraded internals. Most motors can handle 200-250whp safely without any internal upgrades.

you don’t seem to have accually read my last post.
I said I agree…it probably can be made to handle boost well, and be a HP monster, with reliabilty and drivability.
And I said I was only sharing my opinion not fact. so don’t get pissy with me when you didn’t even read all of my post!

That being said, how many of those NA engines keep there warranty after you add a turbo?? none! why? because they weren’t designed to handle it. NOT THAT THEY CAN’T HANDLE IT! as you said, guys have been doing it for years. but that wasnt what they were designed for, and saying that it won’t effect there reliability would be naive.
I never said one engine is better than the other. they just do different things better than the other, both having strong suits. you sound like your saying the SR sucks and the KA rules, well I think they both have good and bad.

Dear god dont talk about warranty. Manufacturers can deny warranty if you change the exhaust on a car or air intake. A stock SR at 7 PSI will last forever. Low Boost, Low Torque and small turbo dont put much stress on a engine with low compression.

Torque is what breaks things. The KA has some very long intake runners compared to the SR and CA, which is a good design for building good torque. This ability to build torque at low RPM’s, has higher compression and the fact a KA has 20% more displacement to spool a turbo of the same size much earlier in the RPM band can be a recipy for breaking ring lands. Take this into consideration: the pistons on the KA are made of the same material as the SR. :tonqe:

So yes the KA isnt built in mind to be a boosted engine, its like Mustangs were not meant to be Autocrossed but with a little bit of work anything is possible.

Oh yea and i forgot to mention the KA’s valvetrain is the same style as the Rev happy Ca which is similar to the RB’s valvetrain… :smiley: And iron block rules. :cheer:

silvia … this is a tech chat so ur personal opinion isn’t worth shiet u saying all this crap about ka first , don’t rev well, cast block, truck motor, don’t breathe etc.

than u saying too much to turbo i showed u 1500 $ set up i run./ So no its not more to turbo a ka.

than u bringing in realibility and using it was" Na factory" as excuse for it. Well that don’t mean shiet cuz i showed u 400whp ka-t with no upgraded internals running reliebly for quiet some time, not to meansion jordan gladman’s 350whp ka24et and many others runing factory ka with a turbo kit on ka-t.org Even used other manufactorers as an example how alot of factoty Na’s go turbo without changing internals, just proper tuning.
In simple words under 350whp daily driven ka-t won’t need to be build for boost, will need to be tuned for boost rather.
And no sr’s don’t suck they are great motors also and they do have some advantages over ka, just like ka has its advantages over sr , i won’t list them here simply cuz i want to hear what u know since ur so opinionated and know so much about 2 engines
And all iwas stressing is people have a choice now days due to parts/kits availability and should go with what they see as a best route for them in todays marketand with what they have more expirience/preference. While all along u were shitting on how ka needs to be bulild before simple boost and make it instanly look like its 10k$ expirience or mission imposible so swap is only choice. Like that insurance comercial "burberian direct"u made that up, iam ur only option.

So come on i am duying to hear it. Cuz so far i backed what i am saying here with facts not just personal opinions and i acctually have expiriences with both motors and have seen them apart and worked on both myself to some extend.

may be off topic but myself i even had a debate between ka24e and de for quiet some time …
As my motor of preference was ka24e cuz u can take it apart and have it back in 1 in no time, one of the most simpliest to rebuild /fix. And parts are dirt cheap. Also if my heart desires to build it up further one day ,nismo made quiet a few parts fom them,usless truck motors. Counterwei8ght crank etc. If interestead look iin to" socal racing" there is na ka’s spinning to 10000rpm . And for boosted drag styles Ventura racing ka24e.
http://hybridka.com/misc/ventura.jpg
http://hybridka.com/misc/pix8.jpg
sucker runs 8’s :E
heres a quote from the oriiginal post
“Turbo set up as a reference he was using a tunning set up that his friend “Gato Peformance” was using on his VW 2.0 engine that ran in the 7’s in the 1/4 mile this set up was giving to him by one of the best programers from Puerto Rico, Ivan “Rabbit”. Ventura’s original set up was a nitrous set up, he was running in the mid 9’s in the 1/4 mile with stock rods his secret spec. piston and camshaft. No laptop tunning either, since he was using a set of webers carbs mounted on a Nissan Motorsport manifold. No Arp for the head or the mains. Engine besides the piston and the camshaft was pretty mucy stock, he was using a Gforce tranny with the set up thou, but he also mention that he ran in the 10’s with the stock 240sx tranny”

Your really taking everything I say as a personal attack aren’t you!!??
well, good luck young man… good luck. I wish you all the best in life, and hope this is the last time I have to converse with you!

I think we can lock this now.