Maybe WTB: STi w/ blown motor

So I’m at a major turning point. I’m considering turning the LGT into a full-on track car. It’s just a car I’m super comfortable in. Love it, it holds a lot of sentimental value since I’ve had it for a while. But here’s one of the issues:
Parts.

I can not find a good track-oriented coilover for the car. Of course the options I’m looking at are available on the Impreza. Now I’m in the process of possibly getting a set custom made for the LGT. But at the end of the day, even with those parts in it, it still has a weak 5MT. The 6MT in the STi is almost perfect for the track, whereas the 5MT I’m essentially at the limits of because of the abuse it sees on track. I make 299whp and over 300tq, and the 5MT is only reliably rated for around that. 6MT holds that and much more.

I have no idea what to do. I’m in the process of making a spreadsheet with all of the costs associated with each car, and what I’d get if I sold the LGT w/ a rebuilt stock motor. But what I can’t factor in there is ease of doing all of this. I’m confused. I don’t know. I have a headache.

travis crotch has a motor

I have a much better motor I’d swap into the car. I’m just looking for options. For once, I’m not looking for TK jokes lol.

I mean I know you don’t get along with Centola but his old shell is still for sale if your looking to start from the ground up.

So the only reason for it being an STi over a regular Wrx body is the 6spd? Or even over a 2.5 RS.

See if any major suspension company wants to sponsor you and use your car as test mule for a development of shocks. Can’t hurt to shoot a few emails and you’ve got all the credentials instead of being a Joe Shmoe with a stock Legacy/hardparker.

There is obviously somewhat of a demand for such sort of thing.

Greg- Not looking to takeover someone else’s project really. I’d rather just find a Joe Schmoe that doesn’t know a gear pattern and just said “bye-bye” to their motor. I’d be building the car for a specific purpose and class.

Vlad-If there was a demand for it, it would’ve been done. All of the major high-end suspension companies offer nothing for my chassis, and the STi is completely different as far as mounting goes. Companies like JRZ/Moton/Etc… all have setups available for the STi/WRX chassis. No LGT though.

wrx tr is the bare bones sti. basically all the same shit, just not the sti price tag. thats what therriult went with

Another note:

As of right now how my car sits on street tires/suspension/etc… For NASA time trials, I would be in TTB. Jesse Clark’s race car as it sits is also in TTB.

And for another reference: I was running around 1:25-1:26 at NJMP-Lightning. At the most recent event for NASA time trials on the same course, people in TTB were hitting around 1:16. So 9-10 seconds faster. I don’t know if I could make that time up if I had r-comp tires.

Also has the same transmission I have now, which is pretty much the main reason for this whole idea.

aaaahhhh…was unaware. dont listen to me!

The LGT will outdrive an equally setup impreza on the track with same driver all day long. far better chassis and suspension geometry for a track car. I own one and wouldn’t waste my time brining it to the tarmac, hence why it’s a dirt churner.

There are a bunch of little things that add up to your lost time. A majority of it though is seat time. Look at the short term shit storm Clark raised at WGI when he destroyed his class lap record by solid seconds by just going fucking balls out and driving solid :slight_smile:

Why not get the dampers made and throw a bare bones six speed in it? If you have plans to make this a track slut there’s an EASY 200lbs of weight that car can ditch with the interior alone.

That LGT is a very capable car.

If you cannot be swayed in that matter, you’re best be is to buy a far lighter GC and build that as a track car. suspension-G is a bit better in back for track use(can be made better though) and the car is already on a major diet. Find one of those clean for ~$1500, drop a built STi drivetrain in there, some JRZ’s or Prodrive’s and go nuts.

Sti box prices have fallen since the economy dipped.

Just don’t want you dumping $XXXXXXXXXXXX into a chassis that is nowhere any better than the legacy, just because you want to get off the shelf dampers in it

Dammit Adam, I hate your opinions. They’re always persuasive.

race the porsche or at least fix it

It’s getting fixed, I’m never going to race it though.

Sorry, just butting in with my opinions :tongue The GD’s(or any impreza for that matter) are good cars but take so much to make them a competitive car on the track that handles worth a damn. There’s a reason why your LGT’s geometry has been pressed into the newer lineup.

If an impreza must be the way, the GC/GM8 cars are a better platform to start from just based upon weight alone. Yes the GD is stiffer on it’s own, but by the time you factor in some seam stitching and a cage the chassis are on equal terms in that arean, again with the GC/GM’s ducking the pounds off the GD’s. Look at Jack’s ST2 car.

Personally I just think it’s me saying don’t give up on the LGT so soon. If you’re truly thinking about a track life for it, and I mean nothing but that, then the car still has alot bottle up in it. As well do you :wink: (<—need moar seatz time yo!)

Oh and 996…I sent you another email with the invoice from LNE on the slugs…Don’t pay them directly!. I need to spec the slugs first! Going to wedding now, but will be around Sunday to chat.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2039582

Just buy that and be done with it. Read the suspension set up.

:excited wow that car is super clean. buy thisssss cossey

He won’t buy it. He’s too smart to. He most likely wants to buy something and build it himself. That’s what I’d do if I were in his shoes.

Given what’s in that car it’s not a bad price at all.

:ninja