Meh, spilled cheap champagne on my laptop

Spilled about a half glass and maybe 1/4 of that got into the casing. The Harddrive can’t be reached and monitor wont work.

Has anyone ever done this? Did it dry out and start to work again? How long did it take?

I got beer on my phone and it was dead. I put it in a bag of rice and it let it dry.

Edit - I let it sit over night (8-10 hours) and no issues to date (2 months now). Just an idea…

It’s a laptop though. I’d need a big bad of rice. Maybe I’ll put it in a garbage bag with bread in it.

I thought it said phone. Wow, I wasn’t even close. :ham:

Well I would stop trying to turn it on for starters :lol:

it was on when I spilled the champagne. I think I’m fucked. It was almost new.

Cheap champagne and you’re laptop on a hot date with your left hand? :lol:

Well pull the keyboard out…and whatever panels you can off of it…hopefully nothing shorted when you spilled it…

put it in the fridge, really it sucks the moisture out of everything… iv done it with a phone.

put it in the microwave on defrost, that’ll dry it right out

Screw you guys… I’m going home.

im serious man the fridge works wonders. there was another thread on here where someone put there phone in the fridge to dry out worked wonders

Do not put it in the fridge

how much spilled?
did you shut it down immediately and disconnect the power cord and battery?

You’ll probably end up having to dismantle the laptop and clean whatever part you spilled on with contact cleaner or electronics parts wash,there is a slim chance that it’ll work again.Try removing the hard drive and checking it out to see it has anything spilled on it,if the controller is fried you’ll need a new motherboard,sounds like you wiped out your onboard video as well.Might want to try hooking it up to an external monitor,if it has no output you’re pretty much screwed.

If none of this works, I’ll take it apart for you and see what’s what. I’ve taken at least 100 laptops apart before.

PM me for my rates… hopefully it’s not totally fried, just sticky and wet inside.

Thanks guys

You said it was on when you spilled it… what immediately happened? Did it go “pop” and turn off? Did you turn it off before it died?

It’s just like any other electronics… the key is getting it turned off before something shorts. That means not just turning it off, but getting the battery out. One of the phone tips I never thought of, but made sense once I did think about, was if you drop your phone in the water to remove the battery while it’s still under water. I suppose once it’s truly submerged opening the battery door doesn’t make much difference, and the water is actually what’s stopping the heat of the short from damaging components.

If it died on it’s own after your date with Rosy Palmer went bad chances are it will never work again because something already shorted. I’d still tear it apart and trying cleaning/drying it up but I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

dont plug it in ANYMORE, leave it alone. Dismantle it as far as you can and leave all of its parts sitting seperate and let it dry for a few weeks and then resemble and try it. when its wet and everytime u try and start it, its sending a shock to the laptop components.

:picard:
this has been stated 3 or more times already.

Okay?

PM’d