metal head gasket

how clean do you know to get your block/head’s mating surface before you put your metal head gasket back in? What did everybody use to clean it off because no matter wat I do with a clotch and water/soap/degreaser doesnt seem to be getting me very far.

thanks
chris

hoooo easy killer dont go putting it on without getting the block and head decked…that will garentee a flat contact surface! if u use any abrasives like sand paper it will make uneven marks and could make a potention leak area!

Also don’t get water and liquid other than oil on the cylinder walls as it will casue rusting. Saaa you have much to learn young buck.

WORD UP!!!

There are shops that can polish the surface aswell after you get the deaking done. Depends on what gasket you are using too.

It is called lapping. Usually it isn’t necessary on a 4 cylinder or a v engine due to the shorter surface, however alot of guys end up doing it on they’re inline 6’s becuase of the long mating surfaces.

You guys are so smart :lol:

Ya, you’ll have to take your head away to a shop to have it decked. When I did mine, I got the head decked, and then took some fine emery paper to the block surface with a block of wood (as flat as possible). I know it isn’t what you’re supposed to do, but I didn’t want to yank the motor to do a head gasket.

Once the surface is cleaned up, brake clean it, and then you can use some gasket maker (not very much) before you drop the actual gasket on, to give it a seal.

At least that’s what I did, and the gasket itself stood up to a pretty good beating this summer (can 't say the same about the pistons).

ok, and as for the block?

where’s a good place to get a head decked in calgary?

Take everything to D&W performance engines on edmonton trail and 40 ave. They do awesome work for a fair price. My entire engine was machined there.