Meth vs. Race gas

I’ll start with the simple question, in my case, what do you think will be more beneficial. I plan on doing dyno pulls with both scenarios to see, but I would like to get thoughts before I do that.

With race gas, I run more boost and more timing, simple as that, its great. With meth, I can do the same, but I have the added benefit of cooler intake temps. The downside, is that my afr goes rich from the meth, and I have no way of tuning that out currently. I will not this year, so saying “get better tuning capabilities” is not an answer. I want to see from hands on experience, if people think the benefits of meth injection outweigh the fact that it will richen up my system.

With race gas or meth, I run the same amount of boost and timing, so that is not a variable in this either.

Thoughts?

–mark

The trick with the meth is that in this case, it’s added on top of stock fueling, so it’s not just simply richer due to the stoich of meth, it’s adding more fuel on TOP of what the stock computer already dialed in.

Just in case some people aren’t familiar with the setup here.

meth+93 will prolly be cheaper than running c116 or 103 or whatever else u were going to run.

how often to you plan on running max boost and more advanced timing numbers?

if its quite often and u want to save money id go with the meth.

running a lil on the rich side isnt TERRIBLE, my mazda is quite rich from the factory and tho i would like to lean it out to get more power, i dont have EMS yet, so im kinda BUFU’d, which seems to be ur predicament as well

Money isn’t really a factor. I just want to find out what provides the most power and benefit to the engine. I guess if I could go back and ask this question again, I would have simply asked:

Without any tuning, does a meth injection kit help or hurt a turbocharged car?

But yeah, I totally agree with you that it would be cheaper :slight_smile: Meth from mike is dirt cheap, and seems to last forever.

–mark

If you’re not going to tune, I assume that you’re only talking about running either of these as a safety margin or knock preventitive…

in which case, may as well just run the race joose.

Race gas>meth. this is my stand point and always will be. more reliable

There is a thread about the benefits and downfalls.

Just allow some time between dyno pulls and your car will be fine.

Just note that reliability isn’t a factor for me either, since I’m not tuning for it. If the meth was to fail, it would not hurt my setup. This is probably something that I will have to dyno to be certain. I am still leaning towards the meth, just from the torque increase I have seen.

I sent an email to a coolingmist employee, so hopefully they can give me an answer that is not too biased.

–mark

I wouldn’t do anything you can’t tune for. I guess that answers your question, but I don’t understand how you can’t tune for meth if you have a way to tune for race gas…

I have high octane mode, its just more boost and timing when in HOM, and no knock is detected. On top of that, I am wondering if meth will make more power, or hurt it since it will basically be more fuel on an already good running system.

Marky Mark you know enough to know better… The whole thing sounds silly to me. I guess you could log it with a wideband and add fuel with a meth kit if necessary, but that’s super hack. I’d just leave it alone til you’re ready to tune it properly.

Maybe I’m explaining it wrong because its not really hack. I’m not trying to add any fuel. I am just trying to find out if the cooler intake temps from the meth are more benefit in power than the extra fuel it adds, making my system more rich.

For example, if I pick up 5 hp from the colder charge, but lose 10 hp from running richer, that would not be worth it, but if it was flipped around than it would be worth it.

unless someone has ur setup and has done this, the only way to see is to try by dynoing it and getting feedback from ur respective powerbands

If you spray meth you’re adding fuel…since meth is a fuel.

If it’s running too lean without meth you can add fuel by spraying meth, and that may add power by avoiding the stock ECU pulling some timing etc., but that’s not a proper solution. If it’s already rich, and timing is at max advance, and then you add meth with no other changes…it will slow you down.

I know you’re talking about the silly GM button nonsense and I am familiar with it. The problem is people stray from the parts that was designed for and then it’s anyone’s guess if the car will run OK or dangerously in that mode. I know it can revert if enough knock is sensed, but as I was saying, you know enough to know you should be actually tuning the car rather than playing with that.

Thank you! That is what I was wondering :slight_smile: Yeah, I’m on full timing advance with race gas, so the meth wouldn’t add any more timing. I just wasn’t sure if the other benefits from meth (cooler intake temps, lower egts, etc…) would be beneficial enough to keep spraying the meth.

That simplifies my system quite a bit!

–mark

If the car was on the leanish side but not pulling timing, then it’s possible that adding meth wouldn’t make it that rich at all and it may produce more power by cooling the intake charge. You’d have to know the afr it’s running with and without the meth.

This is probably confusing the heck out of people and it’s giving them bad ideas. I’m humoring Mark because I know what he’s up to. Please ignore this thread… :slight_smile:

11’s and 12’s : 1 afr w/o meth, so yeah, already running rich (stock pcm)

If it stays in the 11’s on the meth it may actually be faster with meth. You have to remember to watch the lamda rather than afr once you’re spraying meth.

Taking intake manifold temps back to back would give you an idea of how much cooling the meth is doing in the manifold.

I say run it down the track several times each way. Dynoing it won’t show what it will do at the track because load, heat soak, time in gear, etc. are drastically different at the track.

I’ll log it, thanks mike :slight_smile:

my friend has meth injection on his 04 sti. its pretty much stock he has full turbo back exhaust and the data link connector for the ecu (forgot what its called) n with the meth inject he made like 363 to all 4 wheels.

That really doesn’t help me at all though. He was tuned for it.