Mid-Engine Corvette C8 2020

Yep, sounds like for 34 years he was on team FR and when you do something for 34 years change is hard. Glad he’s retired.

1 Like

Try working with the UAW. It’s all about the good ole’ days. I just keep dropping in robots where people used to be because absenteeism is out of control.

Is this real or a hacked up camaro photoshop?

:thinking:

If that is the rear end, I really hope it’s the angle of the photo that is killing it for me. I’m not a fan.

Same here :frowning:

More leaks

This is a cool car, but it is not a Corvette. Who are they going to try selling this to? Newer Corvette owners are old and gray, if they wanted a rear engine car they’d be buying a Porsche or something nicer than a GM.

Me for one…I’m 36 and always been a GM guy. I can also say that a lot of the 40 and 50 somethings I talk to in my field are very interested in having something different like this. It looks special (unlike the C7) and affordable. (relatively)

Yeah, I think this is a great move by GM and long overdue. Having their halo car actually compete with real exotics instead of being, “Pretty good for an FR” like it’s usually mentioned in comparison is a good thing.

Was the C7 really THAT bad where they said, “fuck it, let’s make a whole new car and call it the Corvette”? I’m not saying it’s not going to be a good car, it’s going to be a great car, but their (GM) logic just doesn’t make sense to me. There’s DNA that cars have that can be altered to some extent but if you change too much it’s not the same vehicle. Take the 4 door “Charger” for example. Is it REALLY a Charger? Or is it just a new vehicle with that name because “nostalgia”?

IMO the only real DNA of the Vette is that it’s supposed to be GM’s halo car, the pinnacle of GM performance. Prior to the C5 no one really compared it to exotics because it wasn’t even close. Since the C5 kind of raised the Vette bar but let it failing to keep up with the international competition and every review you’d see remarks like, “Does remarkably well hanging with the European exotics for it’s front engine, rear drive limitations”. If it’s your halo car why stick with the platform? Nostalgia? Because it’s always been that way? Please.

Also, GM kind of painted themselves into a corner on this redesign because they blurred the lines with their ever increasing power levels in the Camaro. ZL1 vs Z06 is a bit too close to call for something that’s supposed to be far above everything else in your lineup in terms of performance. Now the Vette truly does distinguish itself from the lesser Camaro.

1 Like

I think if they tried getting cute with the engine like ford did with the GT then they should have changed the name. I’m even a little worried about what the rumored higher output engines might be. I think the blackwing engine should stay unique to caddy. Otherwise I think it will still look and feel like a corvette.

And also very much agree with @JayS. Before this redesign I would have rather had the camaro.

I agree that the Camaro put them in a weird spot. The Camaro totally set the bar super high. My father always said that when he retired he would buy a Corvette. He retired, drove the Z06…loved it. I told him to drive the Camaro as well, he loved it more. It’s more practical for a guy who has a bad back and doesn’t want to fall into a car to drive it and it has just as much power/fun factor.

Were you around in the late 80’s? When the C4 ZR-1 came out it put the world on notice.

Front engine, rear drive.

Fast forward 30 years and now Corvette is just copying everyone else’s formula. This is just another new NSX. Cool car, but it’s not an NSX in the sense that everyone remembers.

Agreed on this. Wanted a new Z06. Drove a new ZL1 and was sold. Way more practical and there’s probably/possibly 3 in WNY as opposed to 3,000.

1 Like

I still like the Corvair idea. :slight_smile:

This would be a good opportunity to start a totally new car name / line. But they won’t take it because the Vette name is marketing gold.