C6 Z06 info and *pics*

2006 Corvette Z06

The most amazing thing about this car is, in my opinion, the fact that it looks nearly identical to the regular Corvette and yet its chassis is worlds apart.

Well, I haven’t gotten flamed in awhile, so here goes…

I realize pretty much everyone thinks that the LS7 is an amazing engine, etc… I also realize that it’s actually not even all that heavy. But honestly… the idea of a 7L V8 is still utterly disgusting to me. I realize that Ferraris have large displacement engines as well, but atleast they have a considerably higher power output, and most importantly, they actually sound GOOD. I think this car has an amazing body, very impressed by the structure, etc… but all I can say in the end is: My Kingdom for a short stroke high revving inline six twin turbo!

Meh… have at it then, I can already predict all the replies I’m gonna get, but I still don’t intend to censor myself.

Ugly, I simply don’t like it.
And 7.0L is alot of displacement indeed. I could write a book about why I don’t like it, but the older Z06 did perform really well out of the box.

Andrew.

I like it, the Corvette. I am not a big fan of the direction Cadillac is taking.

As for the Engine, I have one word… Tradition. That is what American cars and trucks are all about. The amount of customers they would gain by doing something that may seem like it is common sense to us, would loose them more customer/fans then they would gain.

One thing is for sure, I would buy the Vette before any other american sports car in the same class.

(I bolded the last part especially for all of you Mustang fans out there)

Out,
TheoK

Oh hell yea, the Corvette is most certainly the nicest american car out there. Still american thou :wink:

…The Z06 has been and will continue to be the best sports car you can buy. Period. Only a handful of cars can come close to matching it’s numbers and the cheapest of those still will run you +$50,000 more than a Z06. Under $90,000, under 12 sec 1/4, under 100ft 60-0, over 1g on the skidpad, and over 70mph in the slalom and aftermarket support that would make a civic blush. Ugly or not it stands on the top of the heap.

PS Theo, Glad you bolded the same class thing because the mustang and the Corvette are sooo not in the same class. One is a $32,000, 300hp, 2+2 sports coupe (2005 Mustang GT) and the other is $67,000, 400hp, 2 seat sports car(Vette base model). Come to think of it the Z06 doesn’t really have any cars in the same class.

Annnd that’s the only reason I posted it/thought it was important. To be fair, the new Z06 will most likely be priced at about $70k, maybe more. HOWEVER, nothing can touch it that doesn’t cost twice the price.

500hp, 475lb-ft, 3100lbs… it boogies in the straights -and- in the twisties.

nicest corvette interior yet :smiley:

beautiful car, i love how the lines flow on it.

as for the caddie. Not so much, but my god that interior looks like you would fall asleep in it, kinda like the overstuffed leather couches.

The new vette starts at $67,395 for the coupe so there is little chance the Z06 will be anywhere near $70,000. The pricing I’ve heard points towards high $80’s

Hey guys if you go into our website where I work www.prestigemotors.ca you will notice we have a Ferrari 360 modena as well as a Corvette Z06 . Yes the Ferrari is an amazing car and you can’t say anything bad about it. At the same time the Corvette Z06 is an amazing vehicle as well. It doesn’t have the finese of a Ferrari but let’s put all that aside. Let’s talk strictly performance. I have driven both and I have taken both to their limits. The Z06 might not be as good as the 360 modena but it’s damn close. Now when you start comparing price you will see that the Z06 is a better bang for the buck. And if you have a Z06 and you can’t get over the fact that a 360 modena is still a little faster then that’s no problem! There is a sweet twin turbo package that is available for the Z06 for about 10 grand that gives the Z06 enough power to make a 360 look sily. So best bang for the buck is a Corvette no matter how you look at it. Unless you have mad money then in that case you just don’t care.

Sorry bomex, I was talkin US figures. I would expect the Canadian figure to be well upwards of $80k. I don’t believe official pricing has been announced at this time.

Oh, and John- the new Z06 will blow the 360 Modena out of the water, stock vs stock. The Z06 vs the F430 tho… that should be an interesting comparo. Keep in mind the new car is based on a COMPLETELY different chassis than the normal C6 Vette. They might look alike bodywise, but the similarities end there. The C6 Z06 is based right off the racecar-- it was developed in tandem with the C6-R.

I must say its a great looking car if you dont appreciate how well the new C6 looks then I cant see where your comming from. I also agree best band for your buck and that new LS7 engine is absolutly amazing. Ya its still a pushrod but who has one that redlines at 7000rpm. Here are the engine specs for you.

LS7 427ci/ 7.0L. 500HP/500 Ft Lbs (512 HP derated to 500HP)

• 2 OHV (3 OHV not necessary for target HP)
  • Raced based CNC ported Aluminum Head with 70cc chambers
  • 11.0:1 CR
  • 46 mm (1.81") Titanium Intake valve
  • 41 mm (1.61") Na filled Exhaust Valve
  • 104.8 mm Bore (4.125") , 101.6 mm Stroke (4.0") Aluminum block
  • Forgrd Crank
  • Forged 6 bolt main Bearing Caps
  • Titanium Rods
  • Cast Aluminum Flat Top Pistons
  • 0.591" Lift Cam (15 mm)
  • Dry Sump
  • 90 mm Throttle Body on Composite manifold
  • Ram Air

For those that don’t know the “Na” in
" 41 mm (1.61") Na filled Exhaust Valve"
means sodium (as in it’s symbol on the periodic table)

It’s used to transfer heat away from the valve so it won’t warp etc under the highstress…

I don;t know about the S chassis SR20DETs but the GTiR’s SR20DET has sodium filled exhaust valves as well for the same reason.

Am I the only one that notices that from these engine specs, the engine is pretty much done? I mean, internal wise, I don’t see what else you can do to it, willing to bet it comes nicely ported & polished from factory too.

the Z06 by far is the best bang for the buck in my opinion! For raw performance you cannot beat this car and its price tag! I’ve driven many C5 Z06’s when i worked at a chevy dealership and i cant even begin to describe how bloody fast these things are and that was with a HP rating of 405 so i cant even imagine how insane the new C6 is gonna be. The interior is improved alot over the C5 and they finally got rid of that huge square shift knob which was kinda gay! One thing that i dont quite understand is why car manufactures have to make such high horspower engines. 500HP is totally useless for the street. You will not even come close to unleashing the beast this car really is on city streets! I think its mainly competition with other makes like Ford, Dodge etc. Im definetly not complaining about the power but it just seems like they can never stop increasing the power output of these car. I would like to see see chevy im prove the quality of the vette. They were using the same shitty decks in the C5 that came in any other regular car!
anyways enough of my ranting, the Z06 wins my vote and i would buy one in a heart beat if i had the cash!

Hah!! “heartbeat” nice one…

The engine is preaty well worked out but you know what you will see and I can put money on it. There is actualy a twin turbo aftermarket kit for the C5 right now and also a company that makes a TT corvette that produces 700HP. If I was about 10 years older and had the means to I would buy on in a second. Now I might be bias since my dad is project team leader of engine development of GM. Here thought is a little secret about how the C6 manages to get 23MPG and avoid the gas guzzler price hike…ready.

When you launch in a C6 corvette your of course in 1st gear, now normaly under street driving conditions you will not rev about 3000rpm. When you shift the lever to 2nd under 3000rpm the transmission actualy goes into 4th. Thats right you during normal street driving are going from 1st to 4th even though the shifter says 2nd. Now the computer as soon as you go about around 3000rpm will go 1,2,3,4ect but it dose this 1st to 4th to obtain the milage that is well preaty amazing for a 6L V8. Also since 2nd you might say well thats odd because you will go to 3rd. I have driven a C6 you honestly never really get into 3rd around the city you drive in 2nd lol. So even though it might sound like this would be well bad you cannot even notice it dose this. I didnt know untill I was told by my dad about it. So basicly when you driving a C6 Corvette and not driving it hard the shifter might be not the gear your really in and actualy a higher one to conserve gas. I have to say though after driving one when you step on it WOW you go like stink its actualy scary how fast you can get moving and the fact that you can be on the highway in 4th crusing at low RPM and know that you still have 2 more gears is really cool. I love my car and would not give it up for much anything right now but the C6 is a hell of a car.

The new Vette blows me away…sat in it the other day. It just “feels” beasty…you’re low to the ground, and when you look ahead, you see this HUGE fat hood in front of you. :twisted: I’ve always had a thing for Corvettes. And this new generation is a great mix of classic & modern.

The C6 vette gets better mileage than our 240s. :x lol.

I don’t like American cars in general though, either they don’t look good to me or their reliability/warranty/resale proves to be garbage etc.

However lately, the domestic market is really catching up, and Nissan (at least) seems to be less promising…ex. 2005 Mustang/Steeda/GTR vs. our possible upcoming 240 that looks horrid or the 2005 Vette vs. upcoming Skyline…I dunno, kinda worried about Nissan’s direction with their high-off-the-ground non-turbo “sports” cars (of course i’m using concepts though).

Summary: Vette, i’m impressed.

!CAGS all the way. (btw that means removal of computer-aided gear selection)

Whoa! Hold the phone and stop the presses… The car is AUTO??? Ewwww… So they hold on to the tradition of huge-ass engines, but aren’t willing to hold on to stick? Oh man… I take back what I said about it being impressive.