mikuni sidedraft question

what do i need for the dual mikuni sidedraft installation and what size to fit the sohc engine.

Also what kind of hp and tq improvments should i see. thanks

I may be mistakin but arnt these carbs?

yes.

Ok :? Why would you need this on a sohc?

^^^

no real reason.

As for HP and TQ on a stock motor … hard to say, maybe -20%.

Carbs are eye candy.

Unless you’re building a race motor (and no, not a “I want my friends to think I’ve got a race motor”), stay far away.

They switched to fuel injection for a reason. Taking a 145hp 4 cylinder and swapping on tech from the 60s is not going to make it faster. Take a look at what kind of power stock 4 cylinders were making back then.

The only time you’ll see gains from carbs are on high revving motors. At high RPM, fuel injectors start falling behind, and your sequential injection pretty much becomes batch fire. But the KA is not a high rev motor.

Carbs at high RPM literally just dump fuel down into the motor and at low fuel pressures too (like 6 psi)

Take a look around the net. There’s clear examples of modern tooners getting all horny for carbs. Wasn’t there a certain high compression multi-carbed KA built very recently aiming for 180hp? A built motor too, and it clicked off I believe 143hp.

Don’t get me wrong, I love carbs. But they are beautiful in their simplicity. They have a very narrow efficiency range and are dead simple to tune.

Mikunis are like Webbers, they are two barrel. So you need two.

I think IIRC Mikunis only came in two sizes, 41mm and 46mm.

As for selecting a size, it’s not so simple. There are many different jettings, it would depend entirely on your setup.

As for mounting them, all you really need is to cut your runners shorter, attach rubber sleeves and go.

Or machine a bolt-on upper plenum with the throats you need to attach the rubber sleeves.

Make sure you don’t just buy motorcycle carbs. They don’t have accelerator pumps.

Carbs will kill your reving potential down low. It will be sluggish as fu(k until it gets to about 5000-5500rpm…then you have what like 1200 rpm of power…

ITBs

do it

and even if you get it to run right/proper with carbs… have fun changing the jetting as the weather changes

thanks for the info, youve helped me make my choice, seems like a pain in the ass to deal with, but it does look nice.

If you want carbs eat bread.

It had to be said.

Im on the atkins diet

i’d like to see someone make a good motor with carbs and prove people wrong, even tho i don tknow if its posible, hahaha

There’s a guy with 240whp on a carb’d N/A KA on FA.