Military Members

Haha… yaaaaaa, I don’t think I have the knowledge to work on anything that involves the word “Nuclear.”

My dad was on a nuclear destroyer, the california, he said that the nuclear reactor people were a different breed and that they didn’t really associate with other people.

Fair enough, and yes no matter what job you have in the marines chances are you will end up in Iraq or Afghanistan, but you may be on base not everyone goes out on patrols and gets into a combat situation, but you are correct being in charge of peoples lives is a lot of pressure (speaking from personal experience).

Keep in mind if you become and officer and your in the army or marines and in combat you have now become the enemies number one target. Wearing brass on your collar is like painting a target on your back.

Haha yah… not for me. Thats why I think being on a ship would be a good fit for me.

they train you. and yes the nukes are a bit odd. they are in their own little world. but cant blame them, they work like crazy and are below deck all day long.

You ever been out on a ship before? Gotta get your sea legs! I spent a few weeks on ships while in the Marines…first time I was sick as hell but got used to it afterwards…I think the weirdest part was when you get off ship and your on land standing still and you feel like everything is still rocking back and forth lol

haha yah… Ideally, Id love a job on the bridge or something like that.

your equalibrium must be whack. i have spent nearly 2 years of my life at sea and never got the wobbles. but i can say that rough seas sure bring the best sleep though. 5-7foot swells FTW

haha yea must be…you stick to seas I prefer kicking in doors lol

Haha yah… Ive never had an extended stay on a ship besides a cruise ship and your prly laughing but I was on a cruise ship that went directly through a hurricaine :lol The captain was fire right their on the ship. It was nuts though… the screws were coming out of the water, splashes from the waves were coming onto the top deck. I didn’t throw up once though unlike the majority of the ship.

Besides that, I was on my dads old destroyer, the John F Kennedy, which is decommissioned and stationed in Rhode Island for tourists. That was just a little day thing though.

most ratings in the navy that deal with what you mentioned like operations and things of that nature are usually in dark rooms, and require high security clearance. aviation is awesome, but is a high tempo life. i used to spend 16-18hours a day up on the flightdeck sucking in jet exhaust, getting fuel and hydraulic fluid all over me, running laps around the 3 acres of flight deck, not an easy job at all, but when the jet comes back from a mission its a good feeling. especially when the jet was an F-14 or a Hornet with a payload on it,and i came back with nothing but its fuel stores, you know it was a good day at war. :clap

Thanks for those who have served!

I could definitely handle working without sunlight. The biggest thing for me is that I like working with other people, thats probably one of the biggest attractions of the military for me.

edit: im out for tonight though, I gotta go work on a certain v-6 swap :ninja I would like to continue this conversation though, thanks for the info guys!

well i will tell you this, the Navy is currently pretty tied up. last i knew they were only allowing people to enlist under 3 classifications, one of which is the nuclear program, and the other is special warfare stuff, like SWCC, EOD, and SEALs\

youre best bet is talking to a recruiter from all branches and gaining information.
i can line you up with a recruiter from the navy if you want.

<–Army Combat Engineer (Sapper) for 6+ years on active, a lil time in reserves after. Stationed in Germany the whole time, 2 Iraq tours, dont regret any of it! Tons of experiences, both good and bad. Nothing like leading soldiers in combat, Id be lying if I said I didnt miss it! That and my job itself was always a “blast” (pun def. intended) There are so many different jobs in the military, youre bound to find one that fits you and that youll enjoy. Ya know, there’s enough of us on here to have a “Military Meet” sometime…thought about it over the summer but never brought it up. Gettin kinda chilly now though haha.

i have foul weather gear still!

Bingo! Just say $90,000 reenlistment bonus a few months ago!

its because none of them want to re-enlist, so they offer HUGE bonuses. but can you blame most nukes? Nuclear Engineer, most under 25 when their initial enlistment is up. big bucks to be made in the civilian sector.

the navy loses alot on the nukes when then get out. power school and the advanced propulsion school is crazy long and costs crazy $$

The Corpsman rate is always open. The FMF community always looking for people. Plus you have the option of going Marine Recon.

hows advancement been? i remember when i was in alot of people got stuck at E5.

Navy does lose a lot of money on the nuclear program. My job up here in Saratoga is to make sure all the nuke students are operational and ready for the fleet.