Military People (Navy) Please Step In...

THIS. OMG, THIS.

If I’m going to make it a career though, the specialization for Officers is really non-existant. I’m either an aviator, or a ships captain. With the enlistment side, I can specialize and then down the road if I choose to, put in for OCS.

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Reserves are way different than active duty in regards to the Coast Guard, but the supplemental pay for joining is quite good.

Dude I don’t know what they have told you or you have convinced yourself of. But I do not agree with your logic. Spam and I are speaking from experience on this very subject and are not trying to sell you anything.

I wouldn’t take a job flipping burgers at Burger King because maybe someday I could be CEO. Just sayin.

Oh, you just put in for it… yeah, good luck with that… sounds easy until you’re in. It doesn’t work like that, trust me. Either you start there or it doesn’t happen.

Not sure what branch you are/were in but that is NOT the case for Navy if he has a contract stipulating OCS. Can it be deferred due to mission constraints, sure. Will it be denied, absolutely not. If Moto’s OCS is denied it’s breach of contract and he can choose to leave. I’m sure it would be one hell of a clusterfuck to do so.

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

Both Cougar and Spam have a point about going officer vice enlisted. Life will be MUCH easier and you will have far more creature comforts as an officer. Not to mention the pay scale.

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

Both Cougar and Spam have a point about going officer vice enlisted. Life will be MUCH easier and you will have far more creature comforts as an officer. Not to mention the pay scale.

I plan on applying for OCS but if the wait is long I’ll enlist with the contract stating that if I do get accepted to OCS my obligation is to attend that. I personally know several friends that did the same for the Navy, Coast Guard is no different.

Had my interview with the Coast Guard today :tup:

Filled out the initial paperwork for my O-Package, as well as security clearances and what not.

I did start my enlistment package as well, because while I am applying to become an Officer, the wait for OCS is backed up until next summer. So in the mean time this will ensure I am in, I will graduate boot camp as an E-4 and it looks better on my credentials.

I want to join the Coast Guard, regardless of making officer or not. I obviously plan on putting all my effort into the office package but worst case scenario, I don’t get in, I am still enlisted.

Sounds like you’re got it figured out right. :tup:

This only Commisioned or don’t bother enlisted sucks.

Got cleared for my broken finger today, just waiting on the paperwork to get faxed over to the recruiting office, and then I should get a date for MEPs :slight_smile:

Good to hear bud.

Thanks dude! I was shocked to hear I was okay to be cleared today actually, I have awesome osteoblasts :tup:

Right now I’ve been in “kick your ass” mode as far as working out and getting myself ready for boot camp. I’m down to a 7:26 mile, about 50-60 sit ups before I get bored, 30-40 push ups until I want to die and can swim my 500 yards in about 9-10 mins. Swimming is my next priority, I don’t like that time.

For reference the standards for CG are:

< 12.51 mins to complete 1.5 miles

< 12 mins to swim 500 yards

38 sit-ups

29 push-ups

16.5" sit and reach

Pyramid push up work out is AMAZING for increasing your push up count.

That’s where you do 20, rest, 19, rest, 18, rest…etc?

Yes but start from 1 and go to 10 and then back again 1,rest,2,rest… My push ups jumped from 46 to 61 in a few weeks.

I’ll definitely have to give that a try :tup:

My personal favorite workout is the deck of cards workout.

Get deck of cards
Assign an exercise per group of card(like hearts are pushups, diamonds are close hand pushups, spades situps, clubs flutter kick)
You do the number on each card with all face cards as 10
I personally start and finish my workout with 5 burpees and do 5 burpees after each Ace in the deck so a total of 30

I do this 1-2 times a week even still on days I dont run and try to do it a fast as I can while maintaining form. I like it because it is short and sweet and always makes me feel pretty sore.

I am a little insane so I usually do this followed by a 1mi sprint to delaware park then 3 sets of pullups at the park then jog home.

i dont think you have to worry and the body work out, work on the mental work out…

I’ve been thinking about doing push ups and sittings for about 2 years now. I think I’m good on the mental work out.

Really though, I’m a very strong minded, driven individual. I’m super pumped to get screamed at, I work absolutely best under pressure.

sorry, but that is that isnt the best combo…

You may want to rethink your military service.