MKIV Supra - turbo vs non turbo

If you’re leaving the engine in it definitely get a turbo. The non turbo’s tranny is inadequate for good power and you’ll want the better brakes, plus by the time you buy and turbo a non turbo, you might as well have bought a turbo model.

I’ve tuned a few NA-T conversion Supras with standalones and they make some power, but you can afford to do it right all at once with a turbo model.

Of course I’d get the house squared away first since you already have a nice/fast car. :wink:

And I’m sorry, but when I see an NSX I think Honda. When I see a Supra I think baller. The NSX is a lot more rare…heck we’ve got 4 Supras here right now for work, but an NSX just doesn’t do it for me without twin turbos etc. and when you get into doing that you’d be much better off with the Supra as your platform.

Thanks for the input everyone. Personally, I’ll take a clean supra over an nsx anyday of the week. Nothing against nsx’s, just my taste. And yes, DEF house before next car. I just need to buckle down and start saving some cash.

Supras are just plain sexy. Even if you get an NA, internals hold safely to about 450whp. But, as mentioned above, need a standalone. Also, depending on the transmission, upgrades to that.

You can’t beat a damn near bullet proof engine like the 2JZ. There are a couple guys on my.IS that have been boosted since 50k and are damn near 200k with no problems.

Supra :tup:

honda :tdown:

Bill is a madman.

Personally,I’d get a Lexus SC300 and pretend it was a Supra.Not a extreme setup like this but they do have potential.

http://www.turbo6.net/

http://www.bigscreencarhire.com/Batmobile_files/batmobile_side_view.jpg

NSX looks cool, but it’s still a honda.

:bowrofl:

so?

Z06 is cool, but it’s just a chevy…

Veyron is cool, but it’s just a VW

Lambos are cool, but they’re just VWs…

Just saying…

What the fuck is with the bowing down icon?

nsx is too slow.

id love to dirty up this thread with my opinion… but a supra is still a very sexy car and down right nasty in the right hands

I know they can be made fast, he said he wants mild mods.

or billy you can get this :slight_smile:
haha

http://www.carztune.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/chrome-ferrari-599-gtb.jpg

always a head turner if done subtlely… just lowered with nice wheels and more boost.

I would still take an LSX powered FD-RX7 over a Supra though…

:tup: supra’s are hawt! I would love one too! I thought the NA models had a different cylinder head???

EDIT: i found this info on www.supraforums.com

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...2jz-ge+2jz-gte

A lot of good info in that thread, there are others also. I wish we could get a sticky going in the NA section on this topic. Here is a writeup on the engines that I just did.

93.5-97 GE vs 93.5-98 GTE

Block: Physically the same block used between the two engines. The GTE has 6 oil squirters that shoot oil into the underside of the pistons to cool them. The GTE also has 2 oil feed lines on the exhaust side of the block for the turbos. If someone really wanted to, a machine shop can do the work to install the oil squirters and a oil feed on the proper side.

Crank: The exact same part, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Rods: As above, the exact same part. READ: 98 GE’s are VVT-i and have weaker rods.

Pistons: Different pistons in each motor, higher compression for the GE. You can run GTE pistons in a GE block/head combo. The ring gaps are different, so use GTE ring specs and clearances for the piston swap.

Oil pump: Same unit, the GTE has a mount for a crank angle sensor. A GTE pump can be used on a GE block and vice-verse.

Head: Nothing close to the same, lol. Besides both of them bolting up to the block, the two heads have nothing in common.

Sensors: The GTE uses a combination of a crank angle sensor and two cam angle sensors for timing. The GE uses a distributor for all of this information. You can convert a GE to run GTE sensors and ignition, it will require a GTE oil pump, lower timing sprocket, crank sensor, cam sensor, and a custom cam sensor mount welded to the GE head. This will also require some wiring work and a swap to the GTE individual ignition coils.

Intake manifold: Not the same, will not bolt up on the other engine. The ports on the heads are spaced differently, so the manifolds will not mate.

Exhaust manifold: Same as the intake manifold, the ports are spaced differently.

Water pump: These are different, they look the same and mount the same, but the rear housing is angled differently between the two.

That is about it, I have done a great many things to my GE and it is basically a GTE now.

1985 Celica Supra P-type.

Swapped, Singled, Sprayed, and Standalone, what did I miss?

“Do no stare at a Supra who’s turbo is twice the size of your head, it calls to you believe me it does.”

-Titan Racing
“A drinking team with a racing problem”
www.wistreetscene.com/forum Wisconsin’s best street car scene.

I go by Gus to my friends and Brian to my family and anyone with a badge.

EDIT: buy one make it fast and sell it to me in 2 years :slight_smile:

I love Supras. I got a chance to drive my dads old '93 TT. The 2jz is an amazing engine. I miss it, to bad my uncle bought it and destroyed it. Even with a need for rebuilt engine and a bad tranny my uncle sold the car more then he bought it.

from personal experience too, i love the car…jus bought a 94 mkIV tt over the summer. doing a complete makeover and paint job and a few little extras this winter…but deff worth the money and deff a lot of fun. love everything about it. and like poopra said thats rly all the diff. if ur thinkin about converting an NA over, dont…get the GTE, its a pain in the ass i heard. goodluck with ur decision, deff. think about it