Monoball bushings vs Poly (eg. ES blacks)

Like the title states, pros, cons etc. DISCUSS GO!

They’re heavier, and wear more than bushings. You have to replace all your links. You don’t actually need them. They take out all the compliance and play in your suspension.

Are you talking about spherical rod ends? Or monoball joints? They’re different.

http://cdn.splparts.com/tiny/SPLRKBS13_0.JPG SPL monoball bushings that type.
I’m not worried about spherical rod ends, I’m collecting my adjustable control arms which all about spherical rod ends.

versus

http://i1.frsimg.com/images/detailed_images/Energy_7.18107G_1.jpg

Honestly, unless it’s a track dedicated car, you won’t like the monoballs. There’s no compliance, no play or give in them. For subframe mounts, go solid, but most other places you’re better to stick with bushings, and oem balljoints. They build OEM stuff to last for 100,000km with no maintenance. The build aftermarket performance stuff for track cars where they will be serviced/replaced/maintained on a much shorter interval, or they’ll fail.

It’s just like people who want to use solid motormounts. There is such a negligible difference for a daily/frequently driven car, that rattling your teeth out every time you drive isn’t worth it.

It’s your car, so you can do as you please, but I’d suggest sticking with rubber/poly bushings and just refreshing everything. Remember these cars are 15-20 years old, you’d be amazed at what replacing all the worn out crap will do, even without going to extremes.

^ i agree too. if you are building a track/race car then definitely go for sold stuff c’z

1. ur geometry stays consistent
  2. you eliminate most bind in suspension.
  3. there is no chance they break on impact and making your car undrivabe for a race and costing precious points.

and use white liti grease all over em and the should last many seasons.

but if you are making a dd then having sold bushings have no advantage. they fatigue your chassis because of all the vibration and impacts of potholes and wear out decpte regular greasing in about 30’000km not to mention they are expensive to replace and they are just annoying for dd.

hmm true all very good points. ES Blacks are cheaper anyways =P.