More auto food for thought

http://blog.motorists.org/if-we-really-wanted-to-save-gas/

In 1988 CRX HF would get 50 or even 60 MPG. Hybrid what?

Good MPG, Cheap, Safe

Pick 2.

Good article. The only things I am concerned about when comparing the MPG of old vs. new is that the testing standards have changed a lot also. Same with comparing us to the European cars. The EPA/CAFE standards are bullshit IMO.

Reading the comments below, the author caught quite a bit of flack for the article from the readers.

I didn’t think it was a bad article myself.

I think the increase in weight had alot to do with safety measures and equipment. Yes, older cars are much lighter, but they are also less safe both in structure and equipment; Not to mention all the nonessential equipment that “everyone” wants and manufacturers must include so they can actually market them. Sure lets have 4 screens to shut the kids ups in the back and have 15 speakers in the car…

This is exactly why I find cars today that is marketed as “light weight”, cough FR-S cough is really not that light weight (that car weights like 2800~2900lbs…:rofl); I guess they ARE if you compare them to a 5000lbs SUV?

P.S. The 200hp FR-S is to be rated at EPA city/highway driving: 19/27, my 260hp cobalt is rated at 22/30…:rofl

MPG is MPG, and as far as I know the US standard for measuring a gallon has not change in some time :lol Nevermind EPA/CAFE standards.

But you guys hit the points. How much do you think the average four dour sedans entertainment system weighs. I won’t say audio because even that’s outdated! I think the answer would absolutely shock you.

few hundred pounds is my guess.

here’s another thing i learned. light vehicle + big motor = better fuel economy. V8 swapped S10s are getting 10mpg more then the V6 or I4 S10. the motor doesn’t have to work as hard to move the vehicle at the same speed.

so i dont think we have to go down in vehicle size, but up in motor size.

dude…

:rofl:rofl:rofl

:skid:skid:skid

what? Show me a carbed 350 S10 getting 30 mpg to prove that.

my old auto teacher had one. i’d be amazed if he wasn’t overstating it, he was prone to do that.

honestly, you based that comment on one person? I’m not even being a dick this time

alright, i guess i should’ve done actual research.

but you’ve got to admit, the concept makes sense.

:facepalm:facepalm:facepalm

No it doesn’t, larger displacement means less MPG. You can make up for it with better gearing, less weight, more aerodynamic shape, tires and tire pressure, etc

i blocked you murrdouche. I’m not taking your shit any more.

ok.

hahaha good

ok?