More auto food for thought

ok. as in ok, I’ve got nothing. i had a derp moment/didn’t think it through all the way. you’re right. im wrong.

ʞo

how’d you do that? I’ve seen it done but i never found out how.

ɹǝʌo ʇı dıןɟ uǝɥʇ dn ǝpısʇɥbıɹ buıɥʇǝɯos ǝdʎʇ noʎ

:facepalm
i’d assume that’s the best explination i’ll get, so whatever.

http://www.faithmouse.com/michael_jackson_tear_sadnes.jpg

v8 dakotas get better mpg than a v6 dakota any day i know that for a fact ive driven both

Made me think of this.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=badoMjA_rW0[/ame]

:lol I was trying to find that episode! Good catch!

Plus rep for bringing up an awesome reference!

Liked the article. I agree with Cossey about the different mileage standards.

Technology has evolved in a very friendly way towards engine efficiency, however until anti gravity is invented the extra weight of features and safeties will always offset the engine tech.

What I don’t understand is that if people are allowed to buy motorcycles why are they not allowed to buy unsafe cars that get good MPG? What are the mandates for manufacturers? Pedestrian safety, side impact protection, airbags, stability control etc right?

While on the subject, why the hell do smart cars get bad MPG? They aren’t that heavy, aren’t all that safe and definitely don’t have a lot of HP. :ponder

probably because smart cars have to be wound out to go anywhere…

if you want an efficient car

Cheap Honda>diesel>anythingelse>hybrid>smart

Doesn’t matter.

MPG are going up, so are gas prices. It’s all a big joke really. Cracks me up.

YAY we can get 45mpg now, -gas goes up $1.50 a gallon.

It is true. I am still amazed that SUVs are not a thing of the past that we look back and laugh about yet. $4.00 a gallon getting 12 to 15MPG would make me extremely broke. I drive about 300 Miles a week so that would average out to about $100 a week in gas for one of those things. $400 a month… Lot o money…

diesel hybrid
http://www.ziptied.com/Coppermine/albums/userpics/10078/OwenStarskyHutchSignatureDoIt.jpg

Carbed no.

EFI, yes.

See LSx or LS1 swapped 2wd t56 2.93’s. That thing would practically idle itself down the highway at 75mph.

Infact. I have a TC getting put back together to sell, then fixing my stock MK4 jetta to sell. First one of those that goes, I am buying a 94 S10, 2wd and putting a 4.6LSX in it, 4l60 and a 2.93 or smaller rear end it it for a daily. I want to see 30mpg highway from it. thats the goal. Pass people at the pumps, and say good by to ODB2 inspections every year too, hello cheap insurance, and have a fun sleeper too.

I just got 54mpg on my trip to NH this weekend. Say what you want about diesel, but it’s by far the best out there. AND it’s fun and quick.

Our 'hoe is only spinning something like 1500 rpm at a highway cruise. My car (honda 2.2L I4) is turning about 3000 rpm, and the girlfriend’s SUV (3.0 V6) turns something like 2500. Despite having a 5.3L V8, and essentially being a small building, it still gets like 18-19mpg on the highway. The highlander only gets 21-23mpg, despite being much smaller and weighing over half a ton less.

Big, torquey engines spinning lazily along on the highway are great for fuel efficiency. Put that into a light, reasonably aerodynamic chassis and laugh at prius drivers.

Its also the same reason my car gets the same gas mileage as an integra, despite weighing more and having a bigger engine.

The other thing is people trading in their suvs etc for more fuel efficient vehicles. I will classify these people as retarded. As soon as you drive a new vehicle off of the lot you’ve immediately lost 5-10k. That’s a lot of gas. Not to mention car payments etc. Just a pet peeve haha