More auto food for thought

yep. Or the people running out selling their 10 year old 4 cylinder 25mpg car like a MK4 VW for example… then going to the dealer and getting a brand new TDi, “This gets me 40mpg easy, ill save so much money”.

250 miles a week, 1000 miles a month.

40 gals of gas or 25 in fuel.

$151.60 in gas $107.25 in fuel.

Unless that car payment is $44.35 a month… your a fucking retard for selling yourself on that deal!

it would take 37.5 years (assuming its a 20K car) to break even on that one! hahahahahaha

Yea, except MKIV’s aren’t known for their reliable electrical systems. (Re: Non-TDI)

Seen some major MKIV piles. $$$ costly repairs

Honda on the other hand, yea dumb.

Exactly… the point is buying cars for mpgs alone is stupid. Resale is by far the most important aspect to me. Bryan has the right idea with his fancy supras

Still, even if you outright buy the new TDi you arent saving anything monthly. Say you bought it outright for $25K. and keep it 2 years. Then say it held its value like a champ… and you sold it for $18K. So you effectively you spent $7000 in 2 years on owning the car or $291 a mo. Instead of buying a $5K car and SCRAPPING it in 2 years. (difference of 2K or $83.33 a month) You are still loosing money on the deal.

By good resale I’m referring to used cars. Losing 1-2k tops on sale price is much more important than +5mpg. Unless you keep the car for 20 years.

I don’t typically lose money on used car purchases, but again cars are not typically good investments.

you also are not buying new off the showroom.

Even CPO is a crap shoot at selling after a few years of use and mileage for what you bought it for.

“Gently” used, IE 1-3 years 25-65Kmi AT the time of sale, is the only shot in hell at making it happen. And thats finding a steal of a car. Normal car that is. NOT a collector type car.

Buying new is retarded. I have never done that. I did buy a demo car with 6kmi on it, didn’t lose money on that either.

My truck keeps track of how much gas (in gallons) its used since new.
I just rolled over 51K miles. I don’t even…

Bought my fit new. Will never buy new again. Luckily they hold their value like crazy so I only took a really small hit when I traded it

I’m keeping my Corolla until an expensive repair does it in for good…and then it will be replaced with another Corolla.

KK hit it on the head. Payments FTL when it comes to saving fuel (and the collision insurance that comes along with that payment, that is very often forgot about in these discussions).

I wanna buy a brand new tdi.

problem is some people need that kind of vehicle. Do I like filling up my dmax at 4.50 a gallon and the crappy winter milage, hell no. However I can’t put sheets of plywood and 2-4 in a civic.

North Star swap in S10? Also for MPGs stick with a T56 way better gear spread and the double overdrive

Even better than people trading in trucks and suv’s on a 4 cylinder car are the people who think its a great idea to buy another car to save gas when they have a truck or suv.

Somehow they think paying for 2 vehicles, insuring 2 vehicles and putting gas in 2 vehicles saves them money on gas.

I see it alot on the F150 sites.

Id rather just drive my truck and put a little more gas in it than own 2 vehicles.

People make decisions all too often based on instant satisfaction. In this case, it’s the satisfaction of spending less at the pump when overlooking the additional costs of multiple vehicles.

Yea, but some people also don’t want to drive a dumper 90% of the time.

Ive been there, done that with the cheap old shitboxes and dont want to go back there again.

I do plan on keeping the truck for a while though. Ive got 3 years left of payments and I just want to not have a car payment for a while after that.

Then they don’t get to complain about costs of operating the vehicle they wanted.

Unless they live in the own little ignorant world and you want to be in an Suv/new car/sports car but you refuse to aknowledge the operating costs and MPG that comes with it.

TurboTravis is exactly right. He doesn’t want to drive the Corolla all the time, but it takes care of his needs which is the important and logical parts.

If someone buys a new car, then complains about the operating costs, that’s their own fucking problem. That’s like me going out and buying a new GTR, then complaining that I’m broke and can’t afford my bills. Makes no sense. It’s called financial responsibility. People don’t live within their means.

There’s a happy medium though. I just like having a decent car if I’m driving it 90% of the time.

Anybody that owns a car that requires 93 doesn’t get to complain about gas :lol

Those people remind me of kids that want a dog, but don’t want to feed, clean up, walk or take care of it.

A nice daily is definitely a good thing to own and is justified in many ways, but anything “nice” is rarely a very cost efficient option.