1998 BMW M roadster (w/top off)
3.2L, 5 speed, abs
(240hp/236lb-ft)

or

2001 Audi S4
2.7L biturbo, 6 speed, abs, trac contrl
(250hp/258lb-ft)
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/griffiscool/night_audi/IMG_2360Medium.jpg

Roadster has front and rear strut bars, but aside from that is stock, and the Audi is bone stock. Both are a blast to drive so i’m just not sure which will be more fun on the track. i’m sorta leaning towards the BMW just cause it seems to handle better (although i’ve never really pushed either of them)

Uh, not even a comparison. The ///M is 10x the car the Audi will ever be.

For shear driving pleasure (fun) AWD is not even on the same page as RWD and the Z3/M chassis is one of the most pleasing, fun to drive cars BMW has produced.

And if you are actually gauging traction control :bloated: Might as well buy the AWD at that point. :bloated::bloated::bloated:

BMW :slight_smile: (Although I’m biased) But having owned a B5 Audi, and a convertible…

I vote top off M Roadster hotness :tup:

I own both, just not sure which i wanted to run with. the trac control was more of an awareness that its equipped. some of the older ///Ms have it but mine doesn’t.

Also the ///M was a lot of fun the one time i went AutoX’n in it before the strut bars. And since i never really pushed the S4 i wasnt sure if it could compare or not (i know a few poeple have them on here and have tracked them).

when i saw the title, “more FUN at track days,” i immediately was ready to post RWD > AWD when it comes to fun.

Definitely the ///M.

I would love that car. Though I would hunt down an M coupe first.

But for a track car, the M will be allot better.

on the track of course the M roadster is going to be more fun, duuuh.

i guess my question is, only car? (i assume/hope not) how often are you going to be on the track? if you buy a daily driver for WNY with the sole deciding factor being how fun it is on the track seems to be a potentially silly situation. for reasonable people, the audi is the sensible choice.

Brian

its going to be a 2 or 3 time a year max thing. i already own them both, and neither see year round driving.

Just tried to gauge feelings of others. but the more i think about it now, you all do have a point … it really is a no brainer :stuck_out_tongue:

M.

M, hands down. The S4 is going to be a big heavy pig at the track compared to the M. That M coupe is pretty much the ideal track day car that you can DD.

Why not run them both and find out for yourself?

don’t buy anything audi for track days… way too heavy, even if fun. I also wouldn’t get an M roadster for track duty. I’d much rather be playing in an s2000, boxster, base z4, etc…

I hate to disagree with everybody…

So I won’t.

M

i will also say m

but i will defend awd a bit. as long as they’re fast, they’re a blast.

i had a great time doing a trackday in joes evo. insteading of tracking out post apex, you just give it hell and drift out. lots of fun at high speeds going slideways

is this even a question?

///m son

You will definitely have more fun with the BMW. The Audi will get too hot every 4-5 laps you will have to pit to cool down, it sucks. I am not tracking my S4 anymore, well maybe once more.

I believe he already stated 2-3x he owns both already.

My buddy has an M coupe and it is a blast to drive. Handles awesome. Does great donuts too. Haha

really? that blows. i figured the power + awd would be halfway decent out there. didnt know there would be overheating problems on them though

I have never tracked mine, but I can say for sure that I drive mine pretty damn hard and have not once had a cooling issue (oil and/or coolant). Mine is an APR Stage 3 as well.

Nick