more VW (2000-2005) questions. ATTN:BRETT

now i know i should know this because i had one for 5 years and have one now but i would like to know if anyone here knows about the window recall? back when i had my golf the window fell into the door (well actually didnt fall but made a huge loud braking noise) and it was replaced under warrenty/recall. didnt pay for anything and they replaced the plastic peices with a more durable peice.

a few years later my gf (now ex) had this happen to her 2005 GTI. again took it in and they replaced them…or so we thought. a few weeks ago she had body work done and come to find out they didnt replace them but instead glued them.

so im talking to a guy i work with who has a 2001 gti vr6, and he tells me that he went to neemer and they glued them and CHARGED HIM!!! so im thinkin wtf???

so long story short im trying to find the bulletin so he can get his money back, or in fact am i wrong?

7 years from DOM they will cover the regulator… after 7 years its all out of your pocket for replacement

DOM? does this mean day of purchase? but what about them being glued?

Damn VAG for making crap regulators.

Date of manufacture?

clue is something bootleg. because the dealer doesnt want to foot the bill for it… but it will hold it together until it fails completly on you on a rainy day.

correct… my car is an 11/01 so 11/08 my extended coverage of the regulators lapsed. i got my DS replaced completely, they had to order the regulator because the riveted area that bond the plastic track together broke right apart. my window was help up by one corner and 1 rivet.

they arent too pricey, but it does suck having to pay for it.

so whats the fix? to replace it or just glue it?

Esp when they were once covered by recall… Happend in the probe more then once.

id replace it. glue is a bandaid… hey maybe billy mays’ mighty putty will solve your problem.

but in the end youll be stuck window down on a rainy day

VW didnt do a recall, rather an ammendment to the “warranty coverage” for that specific part. they extended it for all mk4 models to 7 years from the DOM… the easy way out. because most people werent made aware of that, so many didnt realize when the clunking noise from the window occured, that they could get it fixed even though the 3yr/36 was up

im not having the issue…yet. but isnt the dealership supposed to replace it?

youve got a '00 model. no longer covered. unless you got some warranty program you bought, then maybe it will be

now im wondering if mine were done? hum…

does your window make a thud/clunk noise when you actuate it up or down, and when it stops… louder than a normal car would

ur not hearing me out.

a kid i worked with had it done and paid for it. what im asking is…what is the fix the dealer is told to do? choose one

1. replace with more durable unit
  2. glue broken pieces back together

if youre paying for it. get the new regulator. i wouldnt want to pay them to do a bandaid fix. they have top remove the door lining anyway, might as well do it right.

well they didnt replace his, they glued them. but i was told they replaced mine in my 2000 golf.

but here is the thing, the window never made any harsh up or down clunking noises until one day i was putting it up and when it was all the way to the top i herd a loud snaping sound.

yeah that noise you heard was the track breaking.

I’d make a VWs suck joke but I just fixed this exact problem on my Ford last night. :shifty

get to the punch line of the joke

VWs suck.

/ life if u own one. i am tonight